• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
look at the thread chem p5 tips..we were discussing it a few mins ago
i just checked it,im confused about the solubility part but other than that,we find the solid by subtracting ' (D) mass of boiling tube,water and solid' from ' (C) mass of boiling tube and water' OR we find solid by subtracting ' (E) mass of water' from ' (D) mass of boiling tube,water and solid' ?? please help me out i will be very grateful :)

Reaction score
i just checked it,im confused about the solubility part but other than that,we find the solid by subtracting ' (D) mass of boiling tube,water and solid' from ' (C) mass of boiling tube and water' OR we find solid by subtracting ' (E) mass of water' from ' (D) mass of boiling tube,water and solid' ?? please help me out i will be very grateful :)

mass of solid = D - C

Reaction score
In questions such as these:
"Explain why barium sulphate is less soluble than calcium sulphate"

The ms says:
down the group: the ∆Hsolution becomes more endothermic;
both lattice energy and ∆Hhydration become less (exothermic);
due to ionic radius (of M2+) increasing;
but ∆Hhydration changes more than lattice energy

Can someone please explain this to me?

Reaction score
  • Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
    A sample of propyl ethanoate is hydrolysed by heating under reflux with aqueous sodium
    hydroxide. The two organic products of the hydrolysis are separated, purified and weighed.
    Out of the total mass of products obtained, what is the percentage by mass of each product?
    A 32.4 % and 67.6 %
    B 38.3 % and 61.7 %
    C 42.3 % and 57.7 %
    D 50.0 % and 50.0 %
Answer is C ... how?

Reaction score
  • Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question.
    A sample of propyl ethanoate is hydrolysed by heating under reflux with aqueous sodium
    hydroxide. The two organic products of the hydrolysis are separated, purified and weighed.
    Out of the total mass of products obtained, what is the percentage by mass of each product?
    A 32.4 % and 67.6 %
    B 38.3 % and 61.7 %
    C 42.3 % and 57.7 %
    D 50.0 % and 50.0 %
Answer is C ... how?

Did u try it out yourself?

Reaction score
can anyone help me with the presentation of data collected and the tables , how to make them , what should be in the table etc ?????

Reaction score
I need some tips for calculations. for example calculations for acid-alkaline experiment