• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
M/J 2011 P 12 ... Qs no (11,17,22,29,31,38,40)..Only!!........Concept plsssss!!!!

http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_s12_qp_12.pdf

11 - should be C
17 - should be B because Magnesium is less reactive than group 1 metals which react vigourously and dissolve in water. Mg reacts to a small extent
22 - A ... C and D are cancelled at first place because we do not itend to increase the carbon chain by adding CN
29 - C .. Na reacts with acids and alcohols... neither of them present here
31 - A ... all bonds to the max possible distance b/w them (C in CH3 has 3 electrons)
38 - A.... for an isomer , empirical formula ought to be same,functional groups same in stereomerism and this is an optical isomer so no change in structure
40 - B ... aqeous bromine reacts with double bonded carbons as in ethene , 2,4DNPH gives pos. result in case of ketone/ aldehyde presence (carbonyl group). Fehling solution gives pos. result only in the presence of aldehyde which isnt present

Reaction score
I'm re-posting this.. anyone?
C + O2 → CO2 -395 } this reaction produces C for CS2
S + O2 → SO2 -298 } this reaction produces S for CS2 but since there are 2 S, we multiply the ∆Hc by 2.
CS2 + 3O2 → CO2 + 2SO2 -1110 -> combustion of CS2

for the formation, you add the top two reaction enthalpies together and minus from the overall combustion enthalpy.
C + 2S → CS2 ∆H = -395 + 2(-298) -(-1110) = +119 kJ mol-1
Hope that's clear.

Reaction score
C + O2 → CO2 -395 } this reaction produces C for CS2
S + O2 → SO2 -298 } this reaction produces S for CS2 but since there are 2 S, we multiply the ∆Hc by 2.
CS2 + 3O2 → CO2 + 2SO2 -1110 -> combustion of CS2

for the formation, you add the top two reaction enthalpies together and minus from the overall combustion enthalpy.
C + 2S → CS2 ∆H = -395 + 2(-298) -(-1110) = +119 kJ mol-1
Hope that's clear.
Thank you for your reply..

The first part is clear. I don't understand the second part where we are supposed to add the two reaction enthalpies and subtract from the overall combustion enthalpy. Could you please explain to me why is it supposed to be that way? I don't get the concept behind doing this..

I'll really appreciate your help in making me understand the concept.

Thanks

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply..

The first part is clear. I don't understand the second part where we are supposed to add the two reaction enthalpies and subtract from the overall combustion enthalpy. Could you please explain to me why is it supposed to be that way? I don't get the concept behind doing this..

I'll really appreciate your help in making me understand the concept.

Thanks
I'm not sure how I can clarify it but have a look at the Hess's Law diagram.
And not a problem. untitled.JPG
So in this case, the reactants are C and S and product is CS2. that's why in the end, the subtracting takes place.

Reaction score
Hello. I need help in calculations of the titration in paper 3!!!!!!!!!!
Can anyone post solved paper 3s or any help pleaasee???