• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Which reaction has an enthalpy change equal to the standard enthalpy change of formation of propane?

A. 3C(g) + 4H2(g) -> C3H8(g)
B. 3C(g) + 8H(g) -> C3H8(g)
C. 3C(s) + 4H2(g) -> C3H8(g)
D. 3C(s) + 4H2(g) -> C3H8(l)

Why?

Reaction score
Which reaction has an enthalpy change equal to the standard enthalpy change of formation of propane?

Why?

Is it D?

Reaction score

Why?
C3H8 is a gas at rtp as C5 on wards are liquid C17 onwards are solids....thus the answer is C as at STP C exist as solid Hydrogen as H2 and propane as gas

Reaction score

Why?

The answer is C, this is because in enthalpy change of formation, or any enthalpy change...the reactants must be in their standard states, carbon exists as solid, while H2 is a gas. So the answer is either C or D. in the enthalpy changes the products formed are in gaseous state, so the answer is C. you mind telling the year so i can confirm the answer!

Reaction score
The answer is D, this is because in enthalpy change of formation, or any enthalpy change...the reactants must be in their standard states, carbon exists as solid, while H2 is a gas. So the answer is either C or D. in the enthalpy changes the products formed are in gaseous state, so the answer is C :)
the answer is C

Reaction score
Which formulae show propanone and propanal as different compounds?

A. Emperical, molecular, structural and displayed formulae.
B. Molecular, structural and displayed formulae.
C. Structural and displayed formulae only.
D. Displayed formulae only.

I think it's C. Can someone confirm this, please?

Reaction score
1 chain has 2 double bond in residue and two chains contain single double bond in them thus the number of double bond saturated=5(9-4)
1 double bond require 1 mole of H2 so 5mol are require
Thankyou but I dont get it :'(
how did you get 9-4? :/

Reaction score
Which formulae show propanone and propanal as different compounds?

A. Emperical, molecular, structural and displayed formulae.
B. Molecular, structural and displayed formulae.
C. Structural and displayed formulae only.
D. Displayed formulae only.

I think it's C. Can someone confirm this, please?
yes it is as only structured and display formula will show you the position of the bond

Reaction score
The answer is D, this is because in enthalpy change of formation, or any enthalpy change...the reactants must be in their standard states, carbon exists as solid, while H2 is a gas. So the answer is either C or D. in the enthalpy changes the products formed are in gaseous state, so the answer is C. you mind telling the year so i can confirm the answer!

May/June 2011 Paper 9701/12, question 8. So... is it C or D? :p

Reaction score
Thankyou but I dont get it :'(
how did you get 9-4? :/
in the orignal molecule there are 9 double bonds if you count them......................in the residue one chain hai 2 double bonds and 2chains have 1 double bond thus total is 4.....so the bonds that are saturated are 9-4=5

I HOPE YOU GET IT NOW