• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score

q18.
A) NH4+ does not NH3
B) NH3 is the one that accepts the H+
C) Changes from 107 in NH3 to 109.5 in NH4+, since NH4+ has a tetrahedral arrangement
D) This is the correct answer. H+ doesn't have any electrons, the bond is dative

Look at the mechanism to understand this better.

q4.
Only C has Hydrogen bonding which is stronger than the induce/permanent dipole IMFs of the other options.

q37.
Here's the mechanism:
upload_2018-6-6_22-51-54.png
Clearly 1 and 3 are correct, so the answer is A. I'm not sure what 2 is referencing exactly but I guess it's the collision between the OH ion and the haloalkane.

Reaction score
th
q18.
A) NH4+ does not NH3
B) NH3 is the one that accepts the H+
C) Changes from 107 in NH3 to 109.5 in NH4+, since NH4+ has a tetrahedral arrangement
D) This is the correct answer. H+ doesn't have any electrons, the bond is dative

Look at the mechanism to understand this better.

q4.
Only C has Hydrogen bonding which is stronger than the induce/permanent dipole IMFs of the other options.

q37.
Here's the mechanism:
View attachment 64036
Clearly 1 and 3 are correct, so the answer is A. I'm not sure what 2 is referencing exactly but I guess it's the collision between the OH ion and the haloalkane.
thank you:)

Reaction score
q22.
Sketch the products when the hot Mno42-/H+ breaks the double bonds:
A) forms an acid and a ketone
B) forms two different acids
C) forms a dicarboxylic acid (two co2h gps attached to the same molecule)
D) forms two acids but they have the same formula

answer is B
how B forms two different acids but D doesnt?
thank you so much for your help

Reaction score
how B forms two different acids but D doesnt?
thank you so much for your help

Imagine a line through the double bond in D, see how the previously double bonded carbon atoms are attached to the same group? both will form 2-methypropanoicacid. While in B they are attached to different groups.

Reaction score
Plz can u explain those 2 qs?

I am sorry I just went offline minutes before you asked me but still I beleive I am not late
Q: 1 you asked is solved at the following website
http://chem-solutions-9701.blogspot.com/2016/11/chemistry-doubts-970111mj14.html
2 moles of a single product is formed just divide the formula of compound by 2
For question :2
For greatest amount of energy to be released the compound should not have oxygen in it or least amount for maximum energy released.
From examination report:
Question 9 Candidates were given four compounds – CH3CH2CH3 and three of its oxidation products, CH3CH2CH2OH, CH3COCH3 and CH3CH2CO2H – and asked which would release the greatest amount of energy on complete combustion. 40% of candidates gave the correct answer (propane itself), the others presumably not appreciating that every stage in the oxidation process would be exothermic, and that therefore the earliest point in a sequence of oxidations would yield the highest energy release. An alternative approach to this question would have been to make use of the table of bond energies within the Data Booklet, leading to the same conclusion. Rather surprisingly four questions had a facility below the design limit of 25%, i.e. below the ‘guessing level’, and the reasons for this were clearly very varied.

Reaction score
upload_2018-6-6_15-53-40.png
Isin't the answer D?
3b7de7f9-3889-4514-9b04-6aadec6b9e48

Reaction score
I am sorry I just went offline minutes before you asked me but still I beleive I am not late
Q: 1 you asked is solved at the following website
http://chem-solutions-9701.blogspot.com/2016/11/chemistry-doubts-970111mj14.html
2 moles of a single product is formed just divide the formula of compound by 2
For question :2
For greatest amount of energy to be released the compound should not have oxygen in it or least amount for maximum energy released.
From examination report:
Question 9 Candidates were given four compounds – CH3CH2CH3 and three of its oxidation products, CH3CH2CH2OH, CH3COCH3 and CH3CH2CO2H – and asked which would release the greatest amount of energy on complete combustion. 40% of candidates gave the correct answer (propane itself), the others presumably not appreciating that every stage in the oxidation process would be exothermic, and that therefore the earliest point in a sequence of oxidations would yield the highest energy release. An alternative approach to this question would have been to make use of the table of bond energies within the Data Booklet, leading to the same conclusion. Rather surprisingly four questions had a facility below the design limit of 25%, i.e. below the ‘guessing level’, and the reasons for this were clearly very varied.
Tysm :) but can u guide me a lil bit more regarding q2 using bond energies, how we will determine that? The extra C-H bond has the smallest value so what does it mean?

Reaction score
It is B...2nd is also correct since it is an anti oxidant
yes it does remove sour taste but I have schemes with this not as correct only anti oxidizing or reducing property and stop growth of aerobic bacteria are considered correct toh :(