• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Q37 For a molecule to be in same plane it should have an angle of 120 degree in its compound
option A contains a 120 degree angle due to C=C bond.
I think option B have planar structure for it can also exist as cyclopropane which have angle of 120 degree ( I don't get this part either)
From the examination report:
Question 37 The most commonly chosen incorrect answer was C. This suggests that most candidates knew that the three carbon atoms in propane all lie in the same plane. The six carbon atoms in 2,3-dimethylbut-2-ene also all lie in the same plane, since the bond angles at an sp2 hybridised carbon atom are very close to 120°, and the π bond prevents rotation. However, the six carbon atoms in cyclohexane do not lie in the same plane, they are all sp3 hybridised with bond angles close to 109°.
Yup it should not be propane then

Reaction score
Cyclopropane is not planar
Then how do you prove propane to be planar I even searched it on the internet but I was not able to get the idea and on some sites it stated cyclopropane to be planar.
I am still confused on this part.

Reaction score
Then how do you prove propane to be planar I even searched it on the internet but I was not able to get the idea and on some sites it stated cyclopropane to be planar.
I've searched for it multiple times but the explanation about cyclopropane not being planar is beyond our syllabus and I don't get it...anyways our mark schemes always refer to it not being planar so just remember this

Reaction score
I've searched for it multiple times but the explanation about cyclopropane not being planar is beyond our syllabus and I don't get it...anyways our mark schemes always refer to it not being planar so just remember this

Reaction score
But pls tell me it is not necessary angle must be 120?