• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
year 04 june p1
i cant get this

Ans is 1
why cant 3 be correct

View attachment 59960
Well some endothermic reactions can occur readily. For example, salt dissolving is an endothermic process (sometimes) and it happens readily.
Thermal decomposition of CaCO3 at high temperatures "occurs readily".
Spontaneity of a reaction doesn't only depend on enthalpy change of it. Something known as entropy has to be taken into account as well. You'll learn more about entropy in A2

Reaction score
year 04 june p1
i cant get this

Ans is 1
why cant 3 be correct

View attachment 59960
Even endothermic reacctions occur spontaneously. Actually, the spontaneity of reaction is determined by 2 factors: changes in enthalpy, Δ H and entropy. Though, mostly it's the Δ H that determines the spontaneity but even entropy matters, so since 3 says 'Only exothermic reactions can be made to occur readily', the use of word only makes it wrong, as endothermic can also be spontaneous

Reaction score
Well some endothermic reactions can occur readily. For example, salt dissolving is an endothermic process (sometimes) and it happens readily.
Thermal decomposition of CaCO3 at high temperatures "occurs readily".
Spontaneity of a reaction doesn't only depend on enthalpy change of it. Something known as entropy has to be taken into account as well. You'll learn more about entropy in A2
seems like we two wrote the same thing at the same time xD

Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-04-02-22-36-12.png The Ans is A(all statements are correct). I get how statement 2 is correct but what about statement 1 and 3? How are they correct?:/

Reaction score
View attachment 59963 The Ans is A(all statements are correct). I get how statement 2 is correct but what about statement 1 and 3? How are they correct?:/
When graphite is converted to diamond, energy is put IN to the system. It means diamond's bonds are weaker and longer than those of graphite. When you atomize both of them, you want to continue this process of weakening the bonds so they are completely separated. Since diamond already has slightly weaker bonds, lesser energy has to be put into it to achieve this.

When you combust, you put energy into these species (the activation energy) and then ALL of it comes back out to the surrounding, and even more is released. (Exothermic reaction)
Therefore, since diamond has a little more energy put into it, it will release more energy. Or another way to think of it, less activation energy will be used on diamond, so the overall energy released will be greater.

In diagrams below, energy diagrams are shown. Diamond is in red. It shows the difference in energy changes in an endothermic reaction (atomization) and an exothermic reaction (combustion).
image.png image.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aoa Guys
Plz help with this question ASAP
Thanks Q25
1459675238159-1098437058.jpg

Attachments

• 1459675159163-1714094725.jpg
    1459675159163-1714094725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Reaction score
Inititially, each of the three side chains has 3 double bonds.
One is converted such that 2 double bonds are left. (i.e. One of it has undergone addition)
The other two are converted such that only 1 double bond is left. (i.e. Two double bonds have been removed)
So in total, the number of double bonds removed is 2x2+1 = 5.
Each double bond requires one mole of H2 to be hydrogenated, so your answer is 5.

Reaction score
Can someone please post proper AS practical notes covering all main topics
Please!!!