• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
q4.jpg
I can understand until B is added to dilue H2S04 and we get 2hydroxycarboxylic acid but how does adding conc H2SO4, with heat, gets us CH2=CHCO2H and what reaction is this?

Reaction score
View attachment 59849
I can understand until B is added to dilue H2S04 and we get 2hydroxycarboxylic acid but how does adding conc H2SO4, with heat, gets us CH2=CHCO2H and what reaction is this?
This is dehydration of alcohol. It removes an H2O molecule from the alcohol by removing the OH group and an H from the adjacent carbon atom. An alkene is formed. This type of reaction is also known as elimination.
There are other reagents and conditions that can be used like heated alumina (Al2O3) or hot porous pumice (or something like that :) )

Reaction score
This is dehydration of alcohol. It removes an H2O molecule from the alcohol by removing the OH group and an H from the adjacent carbon atom. An alkene is formed. This type of reaction is also known as elimination.
There are other reagents and conditions that can be used like heated alumina (Al2O3) or hot porous pumice (or something like that :) )
oh thanks a lot! I get that but I was confused because it was a carboxylic acid, wasn't it?

Reaction score
oh thanks a lot! I get that but I was confused because it was a carboxylic acid, wasn't it?
Well yes it did have a carboxylic acid group but I do not know of any reaction that the carboxylic acid group undergoes with H2SO4. However, there WAS the alcohol group so we ignore the acid group and concentrate on the alcohol.

Reaction score
sorry i knw tht im asking the dumbest quebut seriously ive not been through this chapter properly ..can anyone help?? part 2chem s14 p41.PNG

Attachments

• chem s14 p41.PNG
    chem s14 p41.PNG
    61.4 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
sorry i knw tht im asking the dumbest quebut seriously ive not been through this chapter properly ..can anyone help?? part 2View attachment 59854
You now know the rate equation.
Rate = [NO][O2] (both have powers of its order) for example NO is 2nd order and O2 is 1st order the rate equation will be [NO]^2.[O2]

You have value of concentrations. Substitute and your life is now easy xD
good luck.

Reaction score
You now know the rate equation.
Rate = [NO][O2] (both have powers of its order) for example NO is 2nd order and O2 is 1st order the rate equation will be [NO]^2.[O2]

You have value of concentrations. Substitute and your life is now easy xD
good luck.
well i knw tht but i didnt get hw is this the ans in MS
(0.00408 × 27) rate = 0.11 (mol dm–3 s–1) to 2sf