• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Which reagent would react with prop-2-en-1-ol to form a product that could exist as optical isomers?
Why is it bromine and not PCl5?
Prop-2-en-1-ol:

CH2=CHCH2OH

If you react this with PCl5, the alcohol group will be replaced by Cl:

CH2=CHCH2Cl

There is no chiral carbon in this compound.

If you react prop-2-en-1-ol with Br2 instead, the alkene group reacts:

CH2BrCHBrCH2OH

The pink carbon atom above is chiral.

Reaction score
Prop-2-en-1-ol:

CH2=CHCH2OH

If you react this with PCl5, the alcohol group will be replaced by Cl:

CH2=CHCH2Cl

There is no chiral carbon in this compound.

If you react prop-2-en-1-ol with Br2 instead, the alkene group reacts:

CH2BrCHBrCH2OH

The pink carbon atom above is chiral.
Right, right, ofc. I was thinking more on the lines of could form after another reaction. Now I see what was wrong, thanks!

Reaction score
AOA
Please people, I need serious help with this boring subject. I've tried reading the course book twice, tried solving some topicals but still I cant seem to get more than 30/40 in MCQs ...... HELP ME PLZ. Any good way to retain all the syllabus would do the work. i'm not looking for notes. Just tell me an effective way to study this subject

Reaction score
AOA
Please people, I need serious help with this boring subject. I've tried reading the course book twice, tried solving some topicals but still I cant seem to get more than 30/40 in MCQs ...... HELP ME PLZ. Any good way to retain all the syllabus would do the work. i'm not looking for notes. Just tell me an effective way to study this subject
This same with me too!! :(
Just keep doing the papers, that's what I'm going to do and I'm improving day by day. There still are two months and the more we practice past papers, the better!

Reaction score
AOA
30 is not bad. :)

Reaction score
Which pollutant, present in the exhaust fumes of an internal combustion engine, has an element in the +2 oxidation state and an odd number of electrons in one molecule of the pollutant? A) CO B ) H2S C) NO D )NO2
Ans C Please explain!

Reaction score
30 IS bad if people expect more from you :'(
I understand.
First, to be able to do well in any subject, you will have to clear your negative mindset about it. Same goes with chemistry. Think of it as a challenge instead of a burden.
Having said that, for chemistry you will first have to understand each concept very well to go any further. It's best if you can have a good teacher who can help you out with that. So if you do, you need to pay attention in class. Taking notes during the lecture helps you stay awake and grasp things. Then, study each chapter from the textbook (highlight important points as you study if that helps you concentrate). Once you're done with a single chapter, do questions from around 5 - 10 past papers. Repeat that with every chapter.
Then in the end you will have to revise and do paper-wise. More the practice, better will be your marks.
For paper 1 specifically, doing the questions from last to first helps you finish sooner. (Don't ask how, but it helped me when I had a problem with time-management. :p) But considering the fact that you are already scoring a 30, the only thing that will help you score more is practice. All the best! Above 30 is perfectly achievable.

Reaction score
Moles of thiosulphate ions = 19.5 x 0.02 / 1000 = 0.00039mol
This is equal to moles of copper ions:

Moles of copper ions = 0.00039mol
Concentration of copper ions = 0.00039mol / 50 * 1000 = 0.0078mol/dm^3
This is concentration in moles per volume. Let's convert it to mass per volume:

0.0078mol/dm3 of copper ions = 0.0078*63.5 = 0.4953g/dm3

So there is 0.4953g of copper dissolved in every 1000cm3 of water.

We need to find percentage of copper by mass. Note that 1000cm3 of water has 1000g of mass.

Percentage by mass = 0.4953g / (1000 + 0.4953)g x 100% = 0.05%

Reaction score
Moles of thiosulphate ions = 19.5 x 0.02 / 1000 = 0.00039mol
This is equal to moles of copper ions:

Moles of copper ions = 0.00039mol
Concentration of copper ions = 0.00039mol / 50 * 1000 = 0.0078mol/dm^3
This is concentration in moles per volume. Let's convert it to mass per volume:

0.0078mol/dm3 of copper ions = 0.0078*63.5 = 0.4953g/dm3

So there is 0.4953g of copper dissolved in every 1000cm3 of water.

We need to find percentage of copper by mass. Note that 1000cm3 of water has 1000g of mass.

Percentage by mass = 0.4953g / (1000 + 0.4953)g x 100% = 0.05%
Thanks

Reaction score
AOA
If you check the threshold grades 32-33 is already an A (Depends on how hard the paper is) Just a couple of grades man! GO FOR IT!

Reaction score
Hess's law?? Can someone please explain how you get D??
And what exactly are we supposed to look up in the data booklet?

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    152.2 KB · Views: 4