• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me where 244 came from?
So, I doubt that the marking scheme cites 244 kJ/mol since I think it would be 242 kJ/mol as per the data booklet and that is the enthalpy change of atomisation of Cl2 molecule which at have to take into consideration during the calculation.
Yes, the bond energy of Cl2 is 242 in the 2016 specimen data booklet. The value must have been given as 244 in the data booklet of that particular year.

Reaction score
So, I doubt that the marking scheme cites 244 kJ/mol since I think it would be 242 kJ/mol as per the data booklet and that is the enthalpy change of atomisation of Cl2 molecule which you have to take into consideration during the calculation.
Yes, the bond energy of Cl2 is 242 in the 2016 specimen data booklet. The value must have been given as 244 in the data booklet of that particular year.
why do we need bond energy though in calculating this?
the book didnt use it :/

Reaction score
why do we need bond energy though in calculating this?
the book didnt use it :/
So see since you are calculating the lattice energy we take into consideration the respective enthalpy change of atomisation and electron affinity/ionisation energies(depending on whether it is a metal or non-metal). In this case, 1 mol of Cl2 molecule will form Cl atoms which will further form 1 mole of Cl- ions.Therefore, we are taking bond energy basically, Enthalpy change of atomisation, to convert chlorine molecules into atoms.

Reaction score
So see since you are calculating the lattice energy we take into consideration the respective enthalpy change of atomisation and electron affinity/ionisation energies(depending on whether it is a metal or non-metal). In this case, 1 mol of Cl2 molecule will form Cl atoms which will further form 1 mole of Cl- ions.Therefore, we are taking bond energy basically, Enthalpy change of atomisation, to convert chlorine molecules into atoms.
Ohhhh Thank You so much

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with paper 5 its literally my nightmare... I solved O/N/09 and as the markscheme isn't very helpful I have no way of marking it myself, I wanna know how to construct an experiment t and everything... Could someone solve question 1d please?

Reaction score