• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
This question please

Form a balanced equation for the reaction.

2NaCl + 2H2O --> H2 + Cl2 + 2NaOH

Then solve it as a mole calculations question.

Why is the Ans B for this Question ...
http://postimg.org/image/nffgoopef/full/
I know that a boltzman distribution curve for a higher temperature has its peak shifted to the right, and in a lower height...
but here in option B the curve isnt shifted to the right eh?

The answer seems to be D to me. Could you check the mark scheme again?

Reaction score
Can a tertiary alcohol skeletal formula be written like this
imgres

Reaction score
I meant what if above the blue line I write CH3 will that be right ??
No because in the skeletal formula you should not show any C's or C's attached to H's.
If it was OH or CN or something like that, then you'd show but not CH3

Reaction score
Form a balanced equation for the reaction.

2NaCl + 2H2O --> H2 + Cl2 + 2NaOH

Then solve it as a mole calculations question.

The answer seems to be D to me. Could you check the mark scheme again?

Thanks but i have a doubt .. is it like the 58.5 kg of NaCl only or does it include water as well?

I checked it many times and even now ... its B ...
Even i think the ans should be D but its B ... i even checked in the Examiners report ...

And i have seen you answering for the same question last year .. in this thread ... let me quote it for you

Reaction score
W04qp1

Q5. You have to imagine yourself filling up the boxes with 8 electrons. If you follow the rules, you will end up with a final configuration that has the lowest energy level.

Q9. The short answer is, compared other organic compounds with the same number of carbons, burning a hydrocarbon usually gives use the most energy.
The C-O bonds for the rest require a bit more energy to break, compared to one that has only C-H single bonds.

Q11. No change in oxidation states for any atom, cant be redox reaction.

Q12. A boltzman distribution curve for a higher temperature with have its peak shifted to the right, and in a lower height.

Q18. For all the other options, there are dative bonds formed from nitrogen's lone pair.
A. N: -->C
B. N: -->H+
D. N: --> Ag+

Q38.

Y reflects the idea that ppt is formed faster than CH3CH2Cl which gives off 1 Cl- to precipitate with Ag+
1. Formed faster as it gives of 2 Cl-
2. Formed faster as C-Br bond is weaker, so Br- is released faster
3. Formed faster as C-I bond is weaker, so I- is released faster
This is the One .... Question 12 .. can u please check this out ...

Reaction score
Thanks but i have a doubt .. is it like the 58.5 kg of NaCl only or does it include water as well?

I checked it many times and even now ... its B ...
Even i think the ans should be D but its B ... i even checked in the Examiners report ...

And i have seen you answering for the same question last year .. in this thread ... let me quote it for you

The 58.5 kg is for NaCl (limiting reactant). The other reactant H2O is treated as an excess reactant.

I'll look at the W04 question and post here later.

At this moment, I am tempted to dismiss it as a typo in the marking scheme, because if the answer is indeed B instead of D, it would be wrongly answered by many students. This will mean that it would have to be discussed in the examiners' report (which it wasn't).

Furthermore, it was poor practice to present the options without putting the room temperature curve on the same axis for comparison. I believed they will be more careful about making it less ambiguous in recent years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 58.5 kg is for NaCl (limiting reactant). The other reactant H2O is treated as an excess reactant.

I'll look at the W04 question and post here later.

At this moment, I am tempted to dismiss it as a typo in the marking scheme, because if the answer is indeed B instead of D, it would be wrongly answered by many students. This will mean that it would have to be discussed in the examiners' report (which it wasn't).

Furthermore, it was poor practice to present the options without putting the room temperature curve on the same axis for comparison. I believed they will be more careful about making it less ambiguous in recent years.
ohkkk thank you :D

Sure ... please check and let me know , thanks alot :)

Reaction score
ohkkk thank you :D

Sure ... please check and let me know , thanks alot :)
In D, the area doesn't look similar to the area given in the diagram of the question, it seems less.. therefore I promptly selected option B :p :s
Moreover, If you look closely, the graph given doesn't have its line extending beyond the x axis, whereas in B it is + the peak has displaced downwards showing that the graph has indeed moved rightwards & downwards ..

am I wrong Metanoia ?

Attachments

• bolman.jpg
    bolman.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reaction score
In D, the area doesn't look similar to the area given in the diagram of the question, it seems less.. therefore I promptly selected option B :p :s
Moreover, If you look closely, the graph given doesn't have its line extending beyond the x axis, whereas in B it is + the peak has displaced downwards showing that the graph has indeed moved rightwards & downwards ..

am I wrong Metanoia ?
ahan.... so thats the reason..

Reaction score
The following half reactions occur when potassium iodate(V), KIO3, in hydrochloric acid solution oxidises iodine to ICl 2 – .
IO3 – + 2Cl – + 6H+ + 4e– → ICl 2 – + 3H2O I2 + 4Cl – → 2ICl 2 – + 2e– What is the ratio of IO3 – to I2 in the balanced chemical equation for the overall reaction?
A 1: 1 B 1 : 2 C 1 : 4 D 2 : 1
someone help me out with this que answer is b.its paper 12 nov 2013

Last edited:
Reaction score

am I wrong Metanoia ?

Honestly, its just as likely that D was the answer and we are running in circles trying hard to justify B.

If I assume they are plotted on the same scale, and overlay the two graphs....if B was really the intended answer, would it be fair for students to see the very very slight shift to the right?Maybe you are on to something with the focus on the area, but it can be optically misleading.
If I were to take the exam that year, I would honestly say I would have chosen D at that moment (and possibly gotten it wrong). :confused:

Lets just hope the paper for this year avoids such ambiguity.

Screen Shot 2015-06-05 at 9.23.50 PM.png

Last edited: