• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Posting this for more than once :D
Paper 5 , http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w12_qp_53.pdf

Question 2b(iii) ( moles )
Question 3 , how to Complete the table when two rows not given

& Whats is the max. Volume a gas syringe can hold which we are supposed to label here ?

Sorry for the delays. Got a bit busy + don't really like opening p5's, personally.
__
2biii:
This is a pretty simple question with a horribly messed up wording. See. Collecting 30dm3 and 24dm3 is not possible with normal lab equipment. Collecting 10cm3 or 20cm3 is.

We know that 1 mol = 123.5g and this produced 30000 cm3 in 2.1 and 24000 in 2.2

So, simply using a ratio, we can find the mass that'd produce x cm3, a measurable value, of gas.

30,000 : 123.5
10 : x

Now you'll simple use this value of x found as the mass of CuCO3 to be used. If it produces 10cm3, it'll be following 2.1. If not, it'll be following 2.2. This can be repeated for several values of gas released and for either of 2.1 or 2.2.
Get it?

3a)

Again. Ratio.

Volume of Sulfuric acid:

10g of H2SO4 : 5.476 cm3
20g = x
x = 10.952

Volume of water:
70g of water : 70.211cm3 of water
20g of water : x
x = 20.060

and so on.

Total volume of 100g of solution:
Simple! Add the volume of Sulfuric acid and Water found.

Density of the solution:

mass / vol
so 100/volume of 100g sol

Easiest question I've seen concerning calculations tbh. If you don't get it let me know and I'll explain it in a more organized manner.

Reaction score
ON09 42 Q5a.
I've answered this before a day or two ago but I'll do it again anyway.
Look. This stuff isn't in the syllabus or taught. This is precisely why it has shown you the 4 figures above the actual question. The examiner wants you to analyze those figures, see whats going on, and apply THAT to the question.

The question shows that all carbons in Benzene can be made to lie on the same plane, but not in cyclohexane. The question also shows that butane Carbons can be made to lie on the same plane, but methylpropane, also an alkane, cannot.
This tells us that if a compound has a ring, OR branching, it cannot be made to lie on the same plane.

All of them are co-planer apart from B.

C is coplaner because you don't have to consider the Oxygen atoms. The others are unbranched and two individual chains lying on the same plane.
Get it?

ON 41

Q3bi
[Cu(H2O)6]2+ = Light blue
[Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]2+ = Deep blue.

You don't even need to know how to analyze absorption spectrums to know this. Remember the Cu ion test in p3?

Q3biii
I'd make a graph between the two shown. Meaning, with a lower amplitude than (NH3)4 but higher than (H2O)6 and with the maximum point around 700nm.

ON 08
2b:
1 1 0
1 1 1
1 2 2

I won't lie. I got this question wrong too when I attempted it back in my mocks. Asked a teacher to explain it to me.
Basically, you have to consider ALL steps above the slowest step identified.

As in, if you're considering step 3 to be the slowest, you have to use the values from step 2 and 1 as well. If you're considering step 2 slowest, you've to use values from step 1 as well and so forth. I still can't come up with a logical answer as to why we do this. Maybe someone else can help clarify. Namehere
Thanks a lot!it was really helpful.Still stuck up on the coplaner.u said that if a compound has ring or branching it can't be made coplaner.how come A is coplaner as it has ring.
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Reposting.....:/
Ny A2 lvl genius pls help!!!!!!!!(simple question)

http://www.sheir.org/a-level-chemistry-51-nov2010.pdf
Q 2 (c)
y axis-----> Freezing point
x axis------> Molality of G

Can some1 please suggest which sequence of range of number do we asign for Y axis (especially) n X axis.
really get stuck here ;/

What are your max and min values for the x and y axis. Cba to calculate it all.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot!it was really helpful.Still stuck up on the coplaner.u said that if a compound has ring or branching it can't be made coplaner.how come A is coplaner as it has ring.
Thanks again.

It has an arene ring/benzene ring. Not a cyclic ring. Look at the 4 diagrams shown in the question! It blatantly states that benzene is co-planer.

Reaction score
What are your max and min values for the x and y axis. Cba to calculate it all.
well for da Y-axis---------> Max (4.37) /*C Min(1.03) mol/kg

X-axis--------->Max (2.35) Min (0.556)

i jus messup when deciding which range of numbers to apply ,n how much cube/block u may call to space.
thanx in advance Abby :)

Reaction score
well for da Y-axis---------> Max (4.37) /*C Min(1.03) mol/kg

X-axis--------->Max (2.35) Min (0.556)

i jus messup when deciding which range of numbers to apply ,n how much cube/block u may call to space.
thanx in advance Abby :)

That's low enough to take real-axes

x axis: I'd take 0 origin and 3 end.
y axis: I'd take 0 origin and 5 or 6 end.

9 big black lines on the x axis,
12 on the y axis.

X: 9/3 = 3 big boxes = 1.00
Y: 12/6 = 2 big boxes = 1.00

Not saying that everyone should use this, just showing how I do it.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd plot from 103 to 437 for increased accuracy. As in, every 2 big boxes = 100

Reaction score
Order wrt H2O2 = Order 1
Order wrt H+ = Order 0

A 0.07 0.05 1.4
B 0.09 0.07 1.8

I need to convert A to 0.09 0.05 1.4 to compare the two (or convert B to 0.07 0.07 1.8. Same thing).

We know it's order 1. So, simply do this:

0.07 0.05 1.4
0.09 0.05 X

0.09/0.07 = X/1.4
X = 1.8

So order wrt H+ = 0.

I know it looks awfully long but I did all this in <30 seconds on my calculator. Understand the concept and practice it and you will too.

Reaction score
Order wrt H2O2 = Order 1
Order wrt H+ = Order 0

A 0.07 0.05 1.4
B 0.09 0.07 1.8

I need to convert A to 0.09 0.05 1.4 to compare the two (or convert B to 0.07 0.07 1.8. Same thing).

We know it's order 1. So, simply do this:

0.07 0.05 1.4
0.09 0.05 X

0.09/0.07 = X/1.4
X = 1.8

So order wrt H+ = 0.

I know it looks awfully long but I did all this in <30 seconds on my calculator. Understand the concept and practice it and you will too.
1.8=1.8 , so its one ? why your answer and MS answer is zero :p

Reaction score
ON 08
2b:
1 1 0
1 1 1
1 2 2

I won't lie. I got this question wrong too when I attempted it back in my mocks. Asked a teacher to explain it to me.
Basically, you have to consider ALL steps above the slowest step identified.

As in, if you're considering step 3 to be the slowest, you have to use the values from step 2 and 1 as well. If you're considering step 2 slowest, you've to use values from step 1 as well and so forth. I still can't come up with a logical answer as to why we do this. Maybe someone else can help clarify. Namehere

I´ll go in for the rescue!

Lets consider the first row, step 1 is the slowest: This means that the hydrogen peroxide and iodide are involved somehow in the rate determining step. Since they are only involved once (directly or indirectly, you´ll see what I mean later on) and they are in the rate equation, then a=1 and b=1, c=0 because there is no hydrogen ions reacting in step 1.

Lets consider the second row, step 2 is the slowest: This means that the IO- and hydrogen ion are involved somehow in the rate determining step, but the IO- ion doesn´t appear in the rate equation! First, it is clear that the hydrogen ion will give us c=1, since it is only involved once and appears on the rate equation. Secondly, in order for the IO- to be produced, the hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen ion will have to react, and since these are involved in the rate equation, it follows that a=1 and b=1 (since each specie was involved only once), though this time the hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen ion were involved indirectly.

Lets finally consider the third row, step 3 is the slowest: This means that HOI, hydrogen ion and iodide are involved somehow in the rate determining step. Lets analyze HOI. We can see that for HOI to be formed, the IO- and hydrogen ion had to react, but the IO- which was needed for reaction 2 was produced by reaction of hydrogen peroxide with iodide from reaction 1! By looking at the rate equation we see that hydrogen peroxide was involved indirectly once to produce HOI and so we can see a=1. Lets continue with the hydrogen ion. We can see that it is in the rate equation and that it is involved twice, one directly from reaction 3 and one indirectly from reaction 2, since hydrogen ions reacted with IO- to form HOI, one of the reactants somehow involved in the rate determining step in reaction 3. Since it is involved twice, it follows that c=2. Finally with iodide we can also see it is in the rate equation. Here the iodide ion has been involed twice, again once directly from reaction 3 and one indirectly from reaction 1 (since iodide was needed in reaction 1 to produce IO-, which was needed in reaction 2 to make HOI, which was needed in reaction 3 - the rate determining step. Since it is involved twice, it also follows that b=2.

Hope it helps. It is a bit difficult to explain these types of questions by simply writing it. Do ask if you are still unsure about something.

Reaction score
Sorry for the delays. Got a bit busy + don't really like opening p5's, personally.
__
2biii:
This is a pretty simple question with a horribly messed up wording. See. Collecting 30dm3 and 24dm3 is not possible with normal lab equipment. Collecting 10cm3 or 20cm3 is.

We know that 1 mol = 123.5g and this produced 30000 cm3 in 2.1 and 24000 in 2.2

So, simply using a ratio, we can find the mass that'd produce x cm3, a measurable value, of gas.

30,000 : 123.5
10 : x

Now you'll simple use this value of x found as the mass of CuCO3 to be used. If it produces 10cm3, it'll be following 2.1. If not, it'll be following 2.2. This can be repeated for several values of gas released and for either of 2.1 or 2.2.
Get it?

3a)

Again. Ratio.

Volume of Sulfuric acid:

10g of H2SO4 : 5.476 cm3
20g = x
x = 10.952

Volume of water:
70g of water : 70.211cm3 of water
20g of water : x
x = 20.060

and so on.

Total volume of 100g of solution:
Simple! Add the volume of Sulfuric acid and Water found.

Density of the solution:

mass / vol
so 100/volume of 100g sol

Easiest question I've seen concerning calculations tbh. If you don't get it let me know and I'll explain it in a more organized manner.

Thanks abbby . :)
second question , i cant still reach a conclusion as which is the right equation for decomposition
and for the table , if you look at row 5 , you will find Both volume and mass of water not given so how to use the ratio when both not given?
and row 9 has both volume of sulphuric acid and total volume unknown so how to find both

Reaction score
I´ll go in for the rescue!

Lets consider the first row, step 1 is the slowest: This means that the hydrogen peroxide and iodide are involved somehow in the rate determining step. Since they are only involved once (directly or indirectly, you´ll see what I mean later on) and they are in the rate equation, then a=1 and b=1, c=0 because there is no hydrogen ions reacting in step 1.

Lets consider the second row, step 2 is the slowest: This means that the IO- and hydrogen ion are involved somehow in the rate determining step, but the IO- ion doesn´t appear in the rate equation! First, it is clear that the hydrogen ion will give us c=1, since it is only involved once and appears on the rate equation. Secondly, in order for the IO- to be produced, the hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen ion will have to react, and since these are involved in the rate equation, it follows that a=1 and b=1 (since each specie was involved only once), though this time the hydrogen peroxide and hydrogen ion were involved indirectly.

Lets finally consider the third row, step 3 is the slowest: This means that HOI, hydrogen ion and iodide are involved somehow in the rate determining step. Lets analyze HOI. We can see that for HOI to be formed, the IO- and hydrogen ion had to react, but the IO- which was needed for reaction 2 was produced by reaction of hydrogen peroxide with iodide from reaction 1! By looking at the rate equation we see that hydrogen peroxide was involved indirectly once to produce HOI and so we can see a=1. Lets continue with the hydrogen ion. We can see that it is in the rate equation and that it is involved twice, one directly from reaction 3 and one indirectly from reaction 2, since hydrogen ions reacted with IO- to form HOI, one of the reactants somehow involved in the rate determining step in reaction 3. Since it is involved twice, it follows that c=2. Finally with iodide we can also see it is in the rate equation. Here the iodide ion has been involed twice, again once directly from reaction 3 and one indirectly from reaction 1 (since iodide was needed in reaction 1 to produce IO-, which was needed in reaction 2 to make HOI, which was needed in reaction 3 - the rate determining step. Since it is involved twice, it also follows that b=2.

Hope it helps. It is a bit difficult to explain these types of questions by simply writing it. Do ask if you are still unsure about something.

Oh my! Lovely! Wonder why I didn't see it as individual steps leading up to the slowest! Hah!

Reaction score
Idk I just take somethign that fits on the divisions without awkward calculations, and something that has enough spread to cover 2/3rds of the graph. So, a slight overlap from the max value.
well i plotted it perfectly.....thanx dear :*