• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
can u please help me sketch that titration curve q1b(iii)
see u have a weak base at first so pH slightly lower than 7 and a strong base so pH will rise up to almost a full 14 at the end when all is in...

curve and tilt the corners of the graph but u get the idea :p
and i missed somehting.... the equilibrium point will be marked with an 'x' in the halfway of the vertical line if needed... here it isn't needed i think.
tell me if u dont get this :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
see u have a weak base at first so pH slightly lower than 7 and a strong base so pH will rise up to almost a full 14 at the end when all is in...

curve and tilt the corners of the graph but u get the idea :p
and i missed somehting.... the equilibrium point will be marked with an 'x' in the halfway of the vertical line if needed... here it isn't needed i think.
tell me if u dont get this :)
i know it should start at 1.94 and end at 14
there should be a vertical line at 10vol added but at what ph should that curve join the vertical line i dont get it and the vertical line should go how much units upwards

Reaction score
i know it should start at 1.94 and end at 14
there should be a vertical line at 10vol added but at what ph should that curve join the vertical line i dont get it and the vertical line should go how much units upwards
it's no hard and fast rule... even the starting point is at 1.94 bcz u calculated it. and u have the equation so u know what ratio of volumes would do the complete reaction but u dont know the pH at which neutralisation is complete so u just have to work with the concept that as it was a weak acid and stronger base, the mid point of the vertical line should be slightly above pH 7 ... and r u sure about the 1.94?? bcz that does not seem like the pH a WEAK acid would have. 1.94 is QUITE acidic.
we only work with the numericals we have and other than that we need to show the right concept and it's done

Reaction score
2) In the preparation of soft margarine, glyceryl trieleostearate
is suitably hydrogenated so that, on average, one of its side-chains is converted into the
CH3(CH2)4CH=CHCH2CH=CH(CH2)7CO2 residue and two side-chains are converted into the
CH3(CH2)7CH=CH(CH2)7CO2 residue.
How many moles of hydrogen are required to convert one mole of glyceryl trieleostearate into the
soft margarine?
A 4 B 5 C 6 D 9

need help with the explaination how do we get to the ans in such questions

Reaction score
Section A question no. 6 i dont know what to do and how to do

Attachments

• 9701_s03_qp_1.pdf
    108.4 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
section A
question no. 9
question no. 10
question no. 11
Section B
question no. 33

Attachments

• 9701_s04_qp_1.pdf
    136.2 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
^^^^^
srry for posting many questions at a time
but i am preparing for as at home and need a little co-operation frm the ppl of this site

Reaction score
it's no hard and fast rule... even the starting point is at 1.94 bcz u calculated it. and u have the equation so u know what ratio of volumes would do the complete reaction but u dont know the pH at which neutralisation is complete so u just have to work with the concept that as it was a weak acid and stronger base, the mid point of the vertical line should be slightly above pH 7 ... and r u sure about the 1.94?? bcz that does not seem like the pH a WEAK acid would have. 1.94 is QUITE acidic.
we only work with the numericals we have and other than that we need to show the right concept and it's done
i dont kw i think examiner did a blunder here i dont get the graph at all half equavelnce point equavalence point all are against the rules lets see maybe i have to ratafy it well u can check the ms

Reaction score
the answer is D. Why is C wrong? C and D both have one chiral centre and they both have -COOH group!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    20.8 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
this paper is absolutely killing me! ans is D

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30.7 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
this paper is absolutely killing me! ans is D

tertiary halogenoalkanes are the ones that only proceed through Sn1 mechanism and Dz the only option which consists of a tertiary halogenoalkane
A and B both are primary ones while C is a secondary one
Just in case if you are unsure about what a tertiary one is :In a tertiary halogenoalkane, the carbon atom holding the halogen is attached directly to three alkyl groups which in this case is (Ch3)3CI

Reaction score
tertiary halogenoalkanes are the ones that only proceed through Sn1 mechanism and Dz the only option which consists of a tertiary halogenoalkane
A and B both are primary ones while C is a secondary one
Just in case if you are unsure about what a tertiary one is :In a tertiary halogenoalkane, the carbon atom holding the halogen is attached directly to three alkyl groups which in this case is (Ch3)3CI

ok got it. i thought SN1 mechanism worked for both secondary and tertiary halogenoalkanes. thats why i couldnt understand how both C and D could be right. :)

Reaction score
Someone plz give the name for As and A A chemistry book

cambride international AS and A level chemistry coursebook by Roger Norris, Lawrie Ryan and David Acaster. Some people use additional books but this one is pretty much enough for our course.

Reaction score
I was doing mcqs from the redspot chemistry Mcqs book and the questions from the 80s & 90s were extremely difficult and they were from p3 p4 mostly. Are they as level questions or a2??