• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
The examiner's report also tells what scale we can use ... u put me in a hassle;)
The answer's right there!
Anyway, Jazak Allah, atleast you made me attempt this weirdo paper!
May Allah make your exam easy for you and remove any obstacles from your path to success! Aameen!
:D
thank you. by the way in the examiner report it doesnt show that he divided by 1000 to convert to dm and he used cm..why is that? :/

Reaction score
The examiner's report also tells what scale we can use ... u put me in a hassle;)
May Allah make your exam easy for you and remove any obstacles from your path to success! Aameen!

What paper were you guys discussing ?

Reaction score
Could anyone help me with question 7 on ON2012/43 ?? I can't seem to understand how to use the NMR spectra! :/

Here's the link: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/

Help is needed with the structure if J in the question above please
Also I get solid 80/100 's without revision, I'm pretty much set but I hope no question comes that I'm not able to Attempt !!!

Reaction score
thank you. by the way in the examiner report it doesnt show that he divided by 1000 to convert to dm and he used cm..why is that? :/

Maybe because if he had converted it to dm, the values would be too small, and the scale would be "Difficult"- that's precisely that seems to be irritating him in the report ;), that the scale chosen by candidates was too difficult to interpret. Plus, the mark allocation is not really worth the hard work we have to go through just to get to the retarded values; normally, we only convert to dm3 to show to the examiner that "OMG! I am so damn practical! I totally hate cm3." Maybe te examiner's trying to use a short cut. But what we learn from this is that we do not really have to convert cm3 to dm3 when plotting a graph... hopefully i'm not wrong with my assumption cuz now i'm confused that if such a question does come in the exam, will the examiner accept my conversion or will he suddenly decide to become all "no u have to convert to dm3 or ur gettin a ZERO"?
Hasbuna Allah wa Ni'mal Wakeel!

Reaction score
Hahaha
Maybe because if he had converted it to dm, the values would be too small, and the scale would be "Difficult"- that's precisely that seems to be irritating him in the report ;), that the scale chosen by candidates was too difficult to interpret. Plus, the mark allocation is not really worth the hard work we have to go through just to get to the retarded values; normally, we only convert to dm3 to show to the examiner that "OMG! I am so damn practical! I totally hate cm3." Maybe te examiner's trying to use a short cut. But what we learn from this is that we do not really have to convert cm3 to dm3 when plotting a graph... hopefully i'm not wrong with my assumption cuz now i'm confused that if such a question does come in the exam, will the examiner accept my conversion or will he suddenly decide to become all "no u have to convert to dm3 or ur gettin a ZERO"?

Lol! True! XD I think it's just one of those random papers that unlucky people stumble upon! The examiners have learnt their lessons in making awkward papers, the recent are much more doable :) Can I ask what would you label the axis?

Reaction score
haha..whoever made this type of question surely wanted to make victims of this exam suffer a lot because this question is worth more than 5 marks even!

but no if we talk in a pure chemistry language then we must convert to dm if we have our concentration in moldm^-3

Reaction score
Hahaha

Lol! True! XD I think it's just one of those random papers that unlucky people stumble upon! The examiners have learnt their lessons in making awkward papers, the recent are much more doable :) Can I ask what would you label the axis?

I labelled concentration of succinic acid in the water layer on the x-axis and the conc of succinic acid in the ether layer on the y-axis... but i don't know if i'm right cuz i can't really decide which one is independent. Ask iKhaled...

Reaction score
i didn't get this :S what do u mean ?

I meant that usually, if a certain problem is faced by a majority of otherwise able candidates they usually make allowances for the question as it clearly isn't a fault of the chemistry knowledge of the student, rather the confusion set in the question. I dont know If they did or didn't for this paper but yeah... I've seen instances of it in P4

Reaction score
@
I labelled concentration of succinic acid in the water layer on the x-axis and the conc of succinic acid in the ether layer on the y-axis... but i don't know if i'm right cuz i can't really decide which one is independent. Ask iKhaled...

YES that's right. *facepalm* it's the partition coefficient we're trying to find here DUH! Thanks!

Reaction score

And there is no independent dependent here. Uniquely, either can be on either axis

Reaction score
I meant that usually, if a certain problem is faced by a majority of otherwise able candidates they usually make allowances for the question as it clearly isn't a fault of the chemistry knowledge of the student, rather the confusion set in the question. I dont know If they did or didn't for this paper but yeah... I've seen instances of it in P4
but will that affect the total mark of the paper? like for example if a question has been canceled because the majority of the candidates didn't do it and its worth 5 marks the total mark of the paper will be 95 for example instead of 100 ?

Reaction score
but will that affect the total mark of the paper? like for example if a question has been canceled because the majority of the candidates didn't do it and its worth 5 marks the total mark of the paper will be 95 for example instead of 100 ?

I'm pretty sure thats the only way to make allowances. Either that or giving the marks to all candidates. But thats not something to stress about. Point is, be vigilant and read everything closely and make intelligent informed decisions on the paper! :)
IA We wont have to face anything so weird! :)