• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I've read in E.N.Ramsden that H2+I212HI and Kc=[HI]2/[H] But in a cambridge course book I've read this equation(Attachment). Which one is correct and in case both are correct then Kc is equal to its reciprocal. And if it is not then how can be the Kc different for a reversible reaction in same conditions?
Asalam-o-Alaikum!
look, when the equation is H2+I212HI then the expression for Kc is [HI]^2/[H2] x [I2]
BUT when the equation is 2HI1H2+I2 then the expression for Kc is [H2] x [I2]/[HI]^2
because the products ALWAYS go on the top and the reactants always go at the bottom. Therefore the E.N.Ramsden book was wrong and the Cambridge course book was right. I don't think that the Kc values for both these equations have a relationship with each other and they probably wouldn't ask you such a question so no need of worrying.

Reaction score
It's made by Roger Norris ,Lawrie Ryan and David Acaster it's the chemistry coursework the newest edition i suppose .

Reaction score
It's made by Roger Norris ,Lawrie Ryan and David Acaster it's the chemistry coursework the newest edition i suppose .
oh i have that book...which end-of-chapter's answers do you want..i might be able to post them here hopefully..

Reaction score
oh i have that book...which end-of-chapter's answers do you want..i might be able to post them here hopefully..
well , I want them all , but may be just equilibrium and states of matter if you can please? , although I'll understand if you can't.

Reaction score
well , I want them all , but may be just equilibrium and states of matter if you can please? , although I'll understand if you can't.

Attachments

• EOC_c01.pdf
    806.1 KB · Views: 197
  • EOC_c02.pdf
    324.1 KB · Views: 110
  • EOC_c03.pdf
    375.1 KB · Views: 176
  • EOC_c04.pdf
    763.5 KB · Views: 162
  • EOC_c05.pdf
    462 KB · Views: 168
  • EOC_c06.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
  • EOC_c07.pdf
    388.1 KB · Views: 169
  • EOC_c08.pdf
    558.9 KB · Views: 203
  • EOC_c09.pdf
    424.1 KB · Views: 144
  • EOC_c10.pdf
    285.9 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score

Attachments

• EOC_c11.pdf
    447.5 KB · Views: 150
  • EOC_c12.pdf
    297.3 KB · Views: 147
  • EOC_c13.pdf
    486.7 KB · Views: 138
  • EOC_c14.pdf
    777.8 KB · Views: 175
  • EOC_c15.pdf
    316 KB · Views: 143
  • EOC_c16.pdf
    422.3 KB · Views: 116
  • EOC_c17.pdf
    552.2 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
An mcq problem. Plz help :)
Asalam-o-Alaikum!
well basically from my understanding, in option D there is an iodine which is not present in any other option and since in the periodic table, group 7, it is the lowest element i.e : F, Cl, Br, I therefore we know that the reactivity decreases as we down the group 7, and it forms the weakest bond, so very little energy is required to break the bond as compared to F, Cl and Br. And so it forms ions and these ions displace the nitrate from the silver nitrate to form silver iodide and this is shown by the yellow precipitate formed.

Reaction score
Asalam-o-Alaikum!
well basically from my understanding, in option D there is an iodine which is not present in any other option and since in the periodic table, group 7, it is the lowest element i.e : F, Cl, Br, I therefore we know that the reactivity decreases as we down the group 7, and it forms the weakest bond, so very little energy is required to break the bond as compared to F, Cl and Br. And so it forms ions and these ions displace the nitrate from the silver nitrate to form silver iodide and this is shown by the yellow precipitate formed.
JazaakAllahu khairan for making it so easy for me. Alhamdulillah.

Reaction score
Asalam alaikum.
Can anybody please tell me how we can solve question 38 and 40 in this paper (oct nov 2009)
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w09_qp_12.pdf

Can you please tell me all the reactions that can occur using the same apparatus and the conditions required for the said reactions.

Also, can you tell me the oxidation number of Chlorine in all period 3 chlorides?

And can carboxylic acids react with 2,4-dintrophenylhydrazine?

I also have trouble with cis-trans isomers, can somebody please give pictorial references to the different isomers?

Lastly, what are Ziiger mier catalysts (I can't spell it right :() and which reaction do they catalyse?

Thanks ^_^
Btw, I manage to score 35/40 in MCQs and 51/60 in structured (I've only recently started practicing the past papers), am I safe? :x

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 5.49.32 PM.png
In this question, I'm unsure of the products of each reaction as in the book it only details about when you have only one halogen attached to an alkene/alkane... What kind of reaction will happen with each answer? THis confused me because for example with NaOH, I'm not sure which of the carbon atoms the OH- ion attaches to. Do you classify this as an alkene or a halogenoalkene? And the syllabus doesn't say anything about halogenoalkenes... So how would you know how it would react with each one?

Reaction score
View attachment 21026
In this question, I'm unsure of the products of each reaction as in the book it only details about when you have only one halogen attached to an alkene/alkane... What kind of reaction will happen with each answer? THis confused me because for example with NaOH, I'm not sure which of the carbon atoms the OH- ion attaches to. Do you classify this as an alkene or a halogenoalkene? And the syllabus doesn't say anything about halogenoalkenes... So how would you know how it would react with each one?
Wouldn't trichloromethane react with Br2.. the reaction would be somewhat similar to the addition reaction between alkenes and halogens.. except that this compound already is a halogenoalkene.. :/

Reaction score
Q. 2.80g of a group II metal carbonate, XCO3, is added to 50cm^3 of 2.00 moldm^-3 HCl (excess) in a plastic cup. the temperature rose by 9.7K. Calculatre the Mr of the carbonate.

for this question, can we assume that q= sum of all the bond energies of bonds involved in the formula q=mcdT? I cant think of any other technique..

Reaction score
Q. 2.80g of a group II metal carbonate, XCO3, is added to 50cm^3 of 2.00 moldm^-3 HCl (excess) in a plastic cup. the temperature rose by 9.7K. Calculatre the Mr of the carbonate.

for this question, can we assume that q= sum of all the bond energies of bonds involved in the formula q=mcdT? I cant think of any other technique..

XCO3 + 2HCl ---> XCl2 + H2O + CO2
2.80g of XCO3 (ignore it for now)
x mol of XCO3 react with 2x mol of HCl
Moles of HCl = Volume(cm^3) multiplied by concentration(mol dm-3) DIVIDED by 1000
--> (50*2.00) / 1000
--> 0.1 mol

Compare the mole ratio.
If 2x = o.1 mol
then x = 0.05 mol

Now that you have the moles and the mass, find the Mr by using this:
Mr = mass/mol
--> 2.8/0.05
--> 56
Is this the correct answer?

Do forgive me if I wrote anything incorrect. Allah knows best.