• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper 31 (NEW)

Reaction score
One thing, I forgot to put the:

---( )---n after I did the nylon drawing, how much do I lose? 1 or 2 marks? And I did them with boxes too....

Reaction score
i didn't do boxes but you should also write +h2o bcz its a condensation polymerisation

Reaction score
nightwalker221 said:
The selenium one was that it is acting as a reducing agent because it removes the Oxygen from the what ever the reaction was. I forgot it.
i remembered a qsn in the past papers that says what type of reagent ................ so it would be an acid or a base not a reducing or an oxidising agent so i wrote a base because it is a proton acceptor but i think i'm talking about a different qsn (don't remember)

Reaction score
AStarHunter said:
Ramosk95 said:
i didn't do boxes but you should also write +h2o bcz its a condensation polymerisation

oh man ! What did the qs say ? Cause i didn`t write h2o !
draw the structural formula of the polymer that is resulted from the following monomers but i think its not essential

Reaction score
One thing, I forgot to put the:

---( )---n after I did the nylon drawing, how much do I lose? 1 or 2 marks? And I did them with boxes too....

Reaction score
^You don't lose any marks for not putting the brackets. ;)
And no, they said draw the polyber.. writing +h2O is not required.

Reaction score
a qsn guys i wrote the polymer -----(oc (ch2)4conh (ch2)6nh)----n is it the same as with boxes or what??

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the answer to

1) Which of the acid reaction is the redox reaction and the reason? (Li + HI), (Zinc Carbonate + HI) or (the one with MgO)
2) Which carboxylic acid forms when acidified potassium manganate react with Butanol? and its structural formula?

For your info, I choose:

1) One with MgO, as oxygen is involved (the explanation probably wrong) :)
2) Butanoic Acid, CH3CH2CH2COOH

Can someone confirm? :)

Reaction score
NOOB12345 said:
Can someone tell me the answer to

1) Which of the acid reaction is the redox reaction and the reason? (Li + HI), (Zinc Carbonate + HI) or (the one with MgO)
2) Which carboxylic acid forms when acidified potassium manganate react with Butanol? and its structural formula?

For your info, I choose:

1) One with MgO, as oxygen is involved (the explanation probably wrong) :)
2) Butanoic Acid, CH3CH2CH2COOH

Can someone confirm? :)
1) I chose Lithium one since Lithium loses an electron and Hydrogen gains it.
2) I made it just like you! :)

Reaction score
Uhmm, I put the redox one was the second carbonate reaction. As zinc was reduced to zinc iodide, and the H ion was oxidised to water..

Reaction score
But for the second one I wrote the same thing..

I wrote for the chlorine one, a colour change from colourless to black/dark brown, and a colour change to yellowy brown.

I wrote that the Selium was the reductant, I though about writing a base, but I've only ever seen a question asking you to describe that worth 2 marks, and this one was 3, meaning 3 things were needed, so I chose that it was a reductant, as it was oxidised, and the other one was reduced, as it went from neutral charge to -1.

Reaction score
And for the hard moles one, I wrote that the molar ratio between the metals and the hydrogen was the same with A and C, but with B it had a higher ratio, meaning a higher amount of moles and thus a large volume was produced :D