• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Paper 3 help needeed

Reaction score
Hi everyone
today had chemistry paper 11 ....................it was OK

hope everyones is OK

so next exam is chemistry so what to study in it
what are the topics needed to be learned in detail and which are not ..............................i wiill be posting my doubts here so plz help me for clearing them out....................if others also have doubt they are most welcome to post their doubts here............ :)

Reaction score
Can any one post the full reactions that takes placee in the manufacture of steel and ammonia :)

plz plz

Reaction score
ok. so.. making steel with a basic oxygen furnace..
*Molten pig iron from the blast furnace ispoured into the basic oxygen furnace
*A water cooled lance is introduced into the furnace and oxygen at 5-15 atm pressure is blown onto the surface of the molten metal
*Carbon is oxidized to carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, while sulphur is oxidized to sulphur dioxide which escape as gases.
*Silicon and phosphorus are oxidized to silicon(IV)oxide and phosporous pentoxide. which are solid oxides
*Some calcium oxide is added to remove these solid oxides as slag. the slag may be skimmed our poured off the surface
*Samples are continously taken and checked for carbon content.when the required amount of carbon iss reached, the blast of oxygen is turned off.
hope that helped =)

Reaction score
LimeReem said:
ok. so.. making steel with a basic oxygen furnace..
*Molten pig iron from the blast furnace ispoured into the basic oxygen furnace
*A water cooled lance is introduced into the furnace and oxygen at 5-15 atm pressure is blown onto the surface of the molten metal
*Carbon is oxidized to carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, while sulphur is oxidized to sulphur dioxide which escape as gases.
*Silicon and phosphorus are oxidized to silicon(IV)oxide and phosporous pentoxide. which are solid oxides
*Some calcium oxide is added to remove these solid oxides as slag. the slag may be skimmed our poured off the surface
*Samples are continously taken and checked for carbon content.when the required amount of carbon iss reached, the blast of oxygen is turned off.
hope that helped =)

thnx alot it helped me alot........................ :)

Reaction score
Haber-Bosh process:- Reacting nitrogen gas with hydrogen gas make ammonia gass
*Nitrogen is obtained from liquified air, air is cooled and compressed under high pressure to form liquid air, the liquid air is fractionally distilled at low temperature to seperate oxygen,nitrogen and noble gases
*Hydrogen is made by reacting methan and water or from cracking hydrocarbons(at high temp with a catalyst)
*In froming ammonia, heat enery is given out..
*at the end of the process, the gass mixture is cooled under high pressure when the ammonia liquefies and is so can be removed and stored in cylinders
=)
Now do me a favor and press "Thank" lmfao! joking, you dont have to do that if u want =3

Reaction score
LimeReem said:
Haber-Bosh process:- Reacting nitrogen gas with hydrogen gas make ammonia gass
*Nitrogen is obtained from liquified air, air is cooled and compressed under high pressure to form liquid air, the liquid air is fractionally distilled at low temperature to seperate oxygen,nitrogen and noble gases
*Hydrogen is made by reacting methan and water or from cracking hydrocarbons(at high temp with a catalyst)
*In froming ammonia, heat enery is given out..
*at the end of the process, the gass mixture is cooled under high pressure when the ammonia liquefies and is so can be removed and stored in cylinders
=)
Now do me a favor and press "Thank" lmfao! joking, you dont have to do that if u want =3

nice helping and asking a favour ...................it was helpful again........................i will press thanks for u ...........no probs