• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry paper 12 discussion!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Re: Huh ?!?!?!?!

She7taman said:
Aahmsil said:
@Keemoman: So silver nitrate or barium nitrate will be liquid ???

Yes, because barium nitrate and silver nitrate are both soluble. Anything else and there will be one of them that is insoluble.

As for the steel question, I wouldn't be so sure that heat is required. Heat is required in the *first* step, where you have your iron ore and you're extracting it. No one ever said you needed heat when you were removing the impurities from pig iron.
Yes thats what I wanted to answwer

Reaction score
I am 100% sure it is NO HEAT REQUIRED. As it specifically said From the iron in the blast furnace, which means it is MOLTEN. check ur book on that topic. heat isnt necessary. And its only nitrates. Its the ONLY thing that dissolves BOTH!

Reaction score
Crap! Probably gonna get 39/40. Did that Nitrate, Chloride, Sulphate ions question wrong...chose the option which said all three could be in the solution...completely forgot mixtures of solutions of different salts will react...in this case, solutions of Silver Sulphate and Barium Chloride were possible, but in a mixture, they'd react and form precipitates of Silver Chloride and Barium Sulphate (though i wonder if mixtures of aqueous Silver Nitrate and Barium Chloride, and of aqueous Silver Sulphate and Barium Nitrate were possible! :unknown: ). So it was "Only Nitrate Ions" :(
Nevertheless, hope we all get awesome grades, and compensate for our mistakes in the previous two components by doing good in Paper 3/2. :)

Reaction score
Hii... Just to put an end to the earlier controversy formed about what cables are to be made out, if you open the curriculum content for the syllabus of chemistry 2011, you will gind in topic 5, that they are asking for reasons why copper and (steel-cored) aluminium is used in cables.
This means that copper is the correct asnwer, as aluminium can't be used in cables unless it is steel-cored.

Reaction score
Gunner1995 said:
I am 100% sure it is NO HEAT REQUIRED. As it specifically said From the iron in the blast furnace, which means it is MOLTEN. check ur book on that topic. heat isnt necessary. And its only nitrates. Its the ONLY thing that dissolves BOTH!
Ok I agree with you but how will they transfer to blast furnace firstly....
Secondly if there is no heat in the furnace so do u think iron will remain molten
Thirdly if you are trying to say that heat is already produced from the furnace then how will it react first of all without heat to produce heat in the reaction.

Hope you understood!! :good:

Reaction score
I do. But they want the final process when removing the carbon, Its an EXOTHERMIC reaction. so when adding heat, doesnt that make it endothermic. I need help in moles. Im stuck, and im really good in math :(

Reaction score
There is no heat required for the steel-making as removing the carbon, silicon and phosphorus impurities is a very exothermic reaction. The energy from these reactions keeps the iron molten. Damn it, I checked the one with all three! :cry:

Reaction score
3aloo23 said:
Hii... Just to put an end to the earlier controversy formed about what cables are to be made out, if you open the curriculum content for the syllabus of chemistry 2011, you will gind in topic 5, that they are asking for reasons why copper and (steel-cored) aluminium is used in cables.
This means that copper is the correct asnwer, as aluminium can't be used in cables unless it is steel-cored.
jus to correct u da question did not ask for da core it askd for da over head cables nd u cn chk dat its aluminum nd as fr da heat thingy i wrote it does rquire heat although i dunno whther its correct or nt........

Reaction score
Keeemoman said:
Yeah that means heat is needed and so is supplied from these reaction

Are you absolutely sure? Beause then it means that I was right!!!!!! Please, please tell me I was right!!!!!! Oh, it would be wonderful if I knew I was right in this question!!!!! :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo:

Reaction score
EXOthermic means it gives out energy. If you give it energy then its ENDOthermic. Anyways goodluck in paper 3 tomorrow :D

Reaction score
dancingmaster said:
Keeemoman said:
Yeah that means heat is needed and so is supplied from these reaction

Are you absolutely sure? Beause then it means that I was right!!!!!! Please, please tell me I was right!!!!!! Oh, it would be wonderful if I knew I was right in this question!!!!! :Bravo: :Bravo: :Bravo:
Yup man for sure cause u need heat for the iron to stay molten and also guys who said the reactions is exothermic then it is right, but it is the reaction for the oxides such as C + O2=CO2
Good luck guys!!

Reaction score
it doesnt need heat. I just double checked with my book. It specifically said IRON FROM THE BLAST FURNACE. and to stay molten, it just does as the reaction is exothermic. which provides the heat for it. So heat is needed, But you dont supply it. Answer is B

Reaction score
IF i get 37 in ppr 1 and 55 in ppr 6 and around 65-70 /80 in ppr 3 , will it be A*?

Reaction score
what.......... it was easy ... idont think so as there were tricky questions