• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemistry p61 (liquid M)

Reaction score
I found out that the 1st guessing is always more accurate :(:( un4tunetly I wrote ammonia :shock:

Reaction score
It is definitely alcohol, as it smells like antiseptic, and is inflammable (indicating the prescense of hydrocarbon). But confused between alcohol and ester. :s

Reaction score
i thought it was ethanol but when they said yellow gas i wrote sulfuric acid but i'm sure i'm wrong but anyway the exam was a bit hard for me :( and i'm afraid that cie puts boundaries instead of curves :oops:

Reaction score
PUSHPAK1321 said:
It is definitely alcohol, as it smells like antiseptic, and is inflammable (indicating the prescense of hydrocarbon). But confused between alcohol and ester. :s

Well, i think ehanol is highly flammable therefore they cover it with a lid !! << I saw this in 1 of the notes

Reaction score
I wrote aqueos sodium hyrdoxide >.>
The yellow flame made me think of sodium, but later I found out it's actually ethanol.
But isn't iodine purple in organic solvents? But it said it turned orange-brown...

Reaction score
i also wrote sodium bromide but all my frnds wrote that it was ethanol & i dnt think it's ethanol because the flame colour included in our syllabus indicate that yellow stands for sodium ! maybe its sodium etahanoate ?

Reaction score
Well whatever it is, we can all agree that the examiner was being a b**** for putting that question xD
I mean seriously, the table of tests question has never been that hard.

Reaction score
nanalala12 said:
i also wrote sodium bromide but all my frnds wrote that it was ethanol & i dnt think it's ethanol because the flame colour included in our syllabus indicate that yellow stands for sodium ! maybe its sodium etahanoate ?

Flame colours are NOT required in IGCSE Chemistry, check the Y11 syllabus it's not included ;-)
Therefore, the yellow flame does not indicate sodium by any means!

I answered concentrated alcohol, mainly because of the antiseptic smell and somehow I thought they'd ask for something organic at least once in the paper.
Supporting this view, from Wikipedias Article on Iodine solubility: 'Aqueous and ethanol solutions are brown reflecting the role of these solvents as Lewis bases.'
And it said that if liquid M is added to a crystal of iodine, a brown solution forms. :)

Reaction score
i wrote organic coumpond, alkane/ alkene
coz the thing i concentrated is smell :D
so in prvious past paper it is something like petrol so the answer is hydrocarbon, alkane/alkene
thats why i wrote like it :p
(i dont think its correct :) )

Reaction score
what did u guys right about the flame produced by liquid N and wat was the colour of iquid N

Reaction score
haochen said:
i wrote organic coumpond, alkane/ alkene
coz the thing i concentrated is smell :D
so in prvious past paper it is something like petrol so the answer is hydrocarbon, alkane/alkene
thats why i wrote like it :p
(i dont think its correct :) )

Its surely not an alkane because it would turn colourless not orange brown

Reaction score
HorsePower said:
what did u guys right about the flame produced by liquid N and wat was the colour of iquid N

I believe there was no flame on N , and I didn't notice "Liquid N" so I wrote purple solid XDDD