• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P4| A2 only

Reaction score
Does anyone have a summary of everything we need to know for analytical chem? IF so please do post, thank you

Reaction score
you deleted the post histephenson007 .... :confused:

There is no Q3 i) ii) ... do u mean Q3. d i) ii) ??? (In that case, the only possible solution we could agree on was to try the trial and error method..... :sick: )

For Q4 c) Because we have to find out which one of these oxidation processes are likely to occur, we need to find out the E cell of both these process. The oxidation with the higher E cell is more likely to occur.

These are 2 solution:
-Fe2+ in acid
-Fe(OH)2 in alkaline

Sorry, internet got dced

Reaction score
7c too ... mass spectometry and NMR uhhhhhhhhhhh .... i'm unable to attempt these questions at all despite of going through the topics in OCR and application booklet ... it was tedious studying them maybe that's why i couldn't grasp much ...

Reaction score
check out part c of Q5... they've asked to draw skeletal formulae... i'm unable to attempt it ... all my skeletal formulae went wrong :(

Reaction score
7c too ... mass spectometry and NMR uhhhhhhhhhhh .... i'm unable to attempt these questions at all despite of going through the topics in OCR and application booklet ... it was tedious studying them maybe that's why i couldn't grasp much ...
to find the no. of carbon atoms, always use this formula---> 100/1.1 * (M+2/M)
and if M:M+2 is 3:1 ==> chlorine atom is present
if M:M+2 is 1:1==> bromine atom is present
and for the determining the molecular structure of the organic compound, u have to use the Data Booklet...

Reaction score

For 7.c)i) You'll hav to use this formula : No. of Carbon atoms = [(100/1.1) * (M+1/M)] . So, you'd get 3 Carbon atoms.

ii) There was M+2 peak present which had similar height to the M peak. This sort of peaks can only be formed with Bromine, because in the booklet, it is the only element we learned to have a 1:1 ratio abundance in its isotopes.

iii) Only one because there are only the M and M+2 peaks were in the spectrum ( because the question gave the M:M+1 ratio, we are to assume that the M+1 peak was solely caused by the 13C isotope). If there were more than one Bromine atoms, there could have been the 1:2:1 peak ratio thingies found.

iv)From 3 Carbons and 1 Bromine, we can get the empirical formula : C3H7Br

In the NMR,
There is one peak with 6H, but the there are only 3 Carbon atoms, so it isn't possible for a benzene ring to be there. So, there must be two -CH3 s on either side of a central carbon.
And the other 1H peak must've been formed by the hydrogen on the central Carbon atom.
So, the structure shouldbe CH3CH(Br)CH3

I recommend reading the chemguide version for NMR. It is very very very helpful;)

Reaction score
histephenson007 can u answer me this one pls!?

First, we need to get the Ka value from the pKa ..
pKa=-log(Ka)
So, Ka = 10 ^(-4.76)

The acid equation is : CH3COOH <---> (H+) + CH3COO-
So, Ka = ([H+]*[CH3COO-]) / [CH3COOH]
Re-arranging the equation: [H+] = (Ka*[CH3COOH]) / [CH3COO-]

But, we don't know what [CH3COO-] is,
So, we hav to find it with the formula C = {n(H+) - n(OH-)} / V
So, C = (0.1*0.01-0.01*0.25) / 0.02 = 0.075

Then, we can calculate for the H+ with the above reaction. And then pH. My teacher just used some pH = 4.76 + log(0.05/0.075), but I don't understand why.

Reaction score
check out part c of Q5... they've asked to draw skeletal formulae... i'm unable to attempt it ... all my skeletal formulae went wrong :(
Think of it as a free-radical substitution reaction and add chlorine on each Carbon atom. Beware with the left ones.

Reaction score
Hey frens, has anyone got any notes on plastics!! thermosetting and thermoplastics..................... if so plz post or plz share the link :)

Reaction score
By comparing 1 and 2, we get [CH3CHO] is 1st order.
By comparing 2 and 3, we get [CH3OH] is 1st order.
Then by comparing 1 and 4:
[CH3OH] becomes twice large, so does [H+].
We already know that [CH3OH] is 1st order, so it being twice large shall double the rate. But actually, the rate quadruples (4 times large).
The extra doubling effect comes from [H+]. It doubles to give a double effect. Therefore it is 1st order.

Reaction score
can sum1 plzzz help in these questionss....i dont get how electrode potentials increases or decreases when u increase conc of of the reactants..these are the papers.q3 of oct/2010/41 and q5c of oct/2010/43..

Reaction score
First, we need to get the Ka value from the pKa ..
pKa=-log(Ka)
So, Ka = 10 ^(-4.76)

The acid equation is : CH3COOH <---> (H+) + CH3COO-
So, Ka = ([H+]*[CH3COO-]) / [CH3COOH]
Re-arranging the equation: [H+] = (Ka*[CH3COOH]) / [CH3COO-]

But, we don't know what [CH3COO-] is,
So, we hav to find it with the formula C = {n(H+) - n(OH-)} / V
So, C = (0.1*0.01-0.01*0.25) / 0.02 = 0.075

Then, we can calculate for the H+ with the above reaction. And then pH. My teacher just used some pH = 4.76 + log(0.05/0.075), but I don't understand why.
why did u subtract the no.of moles??