• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry P31

Reaction score
Dude u knw wat the answer is so obvious..i dnt even know y i am arguing with u...The oxygen is bubbled through the electrode..then the iron reacts with the oxygen to form Iron 2 oxide which settles down as shown in the diagram. This will make this electrode loose mass n the other will remain the same. I cannot care to think that you are right while all the smart people who said its A are wrong PERIOD.
yOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO even if electrons are lost, the sive of the metal wont get smaller.

Reaction score
If you r trying to make a statement then you can make one politely. Secondly, i know this is not a difference you idiot but a cell has its electrodes made up of 2 different metals but this one had its electrodes made up of only iron so its not a cell n i dont care wat it is all i know that its not a cell. Oh ya..the other thing is called electrolysis.
Calling out for politeness yet calling me an idiot... I dont give a fcuk what its called. Its gone, POOF!!

Reaction score
Finally someone understands it is definitely A!!...P.s for the guys who r saying that in a cell the cathode looses mass...THIS IS NOT A CELL!! A CELL HAS THE ELECTRODES MADE UP OF 2 DIFFERENT METALS WHILE THIS ONE HAS THE SAME ELECTRODESSSSSSS -__________________________________-

This is a particular type of cell....in this one it is the cathode(B) that is losing electrons as electrons flow from B to A, that means the Fe on B is turning into Fe3+ ions and going into the solution....therefore the Fe on B is going into the solution, so the answer is B

Reaction score
give me one reason other than the electron flow why does electrode B oxidise first

if the electron flow was on the other direction or not mentioned then I would put A as well as its more likey to rust, but due to the electron flow we can clearly say that B rusts :)

Reaction score
It was only a 2 mark question so....we dont need to worry so much....the cathode was B and the anode was A right?
I put Anode = A Cathode = B
I hope thats right it was for 2 marks.... :)

Reaction score
if the electron flow was on the other direction or not mentioned then I would put A as well as its more likey to rust, but due to the electron flow we can clearly say that B rusts :)
do you really think it will be this obvious for 3 marks!!!! i think this is pretty much impossible

Reaction score
It was only a 2 mark question so....we dont need to worry so much....the cathode was B and the anode was A right?
I put Anode = A Cathode = B
I hope thats right it was for 2 marks.... :)
3 marks bro and im very sure

Reaction score
give me one reason other than the electron flow why does electrode B oxidise first
oxygen formed at cathode...and elctron flow is not enough for u????...it's like sacrificial protection which prevents A to rust due to the supply of electrons!

Reaction score
Finally someone understands it is definitely A!!...P.s for the guys who r saying that in a cell the cathode looses mass...THIS IS NOT A CELL!! A CELL HAS THE ELECTRODES MADE UP OF 2 DIFFERENT METALS WHILE THIS ONE HAS THE SAME ELECTRODESSSSSSS -__________________________________-
I wrote A, too! But then I got confused when the argument here began!

Reaction score
I wrote A, too! But then I got confused when the argument here began!
Well u knw wat most of the smart students i know said its A..I admitt its a cell but its nt the type of cell we hve studied where the cathode looses mass..this cell had the same elecrtodes..

Reaction score
This is a particular type of cell....in this one it is the cathode(B) that is losing electrons as electrons flow from B to A, that means the Fe on B is turning into Fe3+ ions and going into the solution....therefore the Fe on B is going into the solution, so the answer is B
I really dnt understand how its b...Its a cell i admitt but its so obvious..Iron + Oxygen>>Iron 2 oxide!!!!how obvious can that be..most of the smart students i know said its A!!!

Reaction score
Well u knw wat most of the smart students i know said its A..I admitt its a cell but its nt the type of cell we hve studied where the cathode looses mass..this cell had the same elecrtodes..
i understand, I didn't ask the three geniuses in my class. i'll try and ask them, and tell you the result.