• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry or not?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I plan to do Computer sciences after A level. I am just going to start A1, and am wondering whether i should take chemistry or not. So far, i have decided to take, computing, math, physics and perhaps english too. Can anyone please tell me whether chemistry is a requirement for CS in unis, or i can just drop it. And what are the drawbacks of dropping chemistry?

Reaction score
most univs have chem portion in their entry tests
but i think they also give u option of comp in entry test instead of chem
but most ppl who have gone to FAST foCS after A-levels had phy, chem , math
and AICT as an additional subj

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I plan to do Computer sciences after A level. I am just going to start A1, and am wondering whether i should take chemistry or not. So far, i have decided to take, computing, math, physics and perhaps english too. Can anyone please tell me whether chemistry is a requirement for CS in unis, or i can just drop it. And what are the drawbacks of dropping chemistry?

The best combination, if you can manage it, is: Computing, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

Still, if we talk about universities and their requirements then universities like FAST, GIKI and NUST will allow you admission if you take Computer Science, Physics and Maths (this is stated on their websites). However, the drawback of this is that you can ONLY apply for Computer Science, Software Engineering or Media Sciences/Telecommunication. So, if you have your mind clear on the fact that you are going to take Computer Science then you can drop Chemistry.

P.S. I have the same combination; Computing, Physics and Maths.. for now.

Reaction score
most univs have chem portion in their entry tests
but i think they also give u option of comp in entry test instead of chem
but most ppl who have gone to FAST foCS after A-levels had phy, chem , math
and AICT as an additional subj
The best combination, if you can manage it, is: Computing, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

Still, if we talk about universities and their requirements then universities like FAST, GIKI and NUST will allow you admission if you take Computer Science, Physics and Maths (this is stated on their websites). However, the drawback of this is that you can ONLY apply for Computer Science, Software Engineering or Media Sciences/Telecommunication. So, if you have your mind clear on the fact that you are going to take Computer Science then you can drop Chemistry.

P.S. I have the same combination; Computing, Physics and Maths.. for now.

Thanks for your replies.

I am planning to take Computing anyway even if it's not compulsory for admission in CS. I am sure that I'll go for CS. I think i'll consult with my parents about dropping Chemistry.

Reaction score
Asalamualaikum! I'm interested in Software Engineering, and really wish to get accepted into NUST. So, Would it be ok if i choose (A-level) AICT instead of Computing? Their Site just says Computer Science. =|

Reaction score
Asalamualaikum! I'm interested in Software Engineering, and really wish to get accepted into NUST. So, Would it be ok if i choose (A-level) AICT instead of Computing? Their Site just says Computer Science. =|

Walaikum Assalam.

Email them and send them details of the subjects you had taken in O'levels and the subjects that you are/will take in A'levels; also, email GIKI, LUMS and FAST (just for information).

Reaction score

No. Applied ICT is an entirely different subject.. suited more for business students rather than those going into Computer Science since it only focuses on Microsoft Office and the fundamentals on How to use a computer properly and how it used in the field.. I'd say take Computing since then you will get some knowledge on some basic courses which will be taught at Uni plus will have programming and algorithms as well which will make your life easier in Uni.

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Physics Chemistry Maths Computing .. if you're planning to stay in Pakistan.
Physics Maths Computing Further Mathematics .. if you're planning to go abroad.

And no it won't affect you if you drop Chemistry.. but taking it will give the Universities a nice impression.

One more thing.. only do Chemistry if you're really good at it.. Since AS Level Chemistry is one of the toughest subjects there is.

Reaction score
Physics Chemistry Maths Computing .. if you're planning to stay in Pakistan.
Physics Maths Computing Further Mathematics .. if you're planning to go abroad.

And no it won't affect you if you drop Chemistry.. but taking it will give the Universities a nice impression.

One more thing.. only do Chemistry if you're really good at it.. Since AS Level Chemistry is one of the toughest subjects there is.

Thanks for your reply :)

Hmmm, I didn't take add maths in o level. What do you say, will i be able to handle further maths? :s i got an A* in maths though.

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply :)

Hmmm, I didn't take add maths in o level. What do you say, will i be able to handle further maths? :s i got an A* in maths though.

For Further you need accelerated Maths in AS most probably.. but without Addmaths it can get to you to be honest.. try looking at the books and the syllabus for mathematics and consult with your parents/teachers whether you can handle accelerated maths or not.. if you can handle Accelerated Maths go for that.

Don't commit to Further until after you have attempted your accelerated Mathematics papers. since Further is no child's play and requires extensive amounts of study and practice and a really really good mathematics teacher.

Even taking Accel. Maths without giving Further can be quite handy for you.. since in your A2 year you will get rid of Maths and can focus on your other subjects easily.