• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry O/N 09

Reaction score
Chlorine isn't acidic, it bleaches all indicators white or off-yellow..

The answer is D because the indicator at the anode is colourless, and the indicator at the anode turns blue/purple as NaOH is formed, due to the removal of H at the cathode.

Hope I helped, best of luck tomorrow :D

Reaction score
Thanks a lot,but doesn't the universal indcator at the cathode test what is formed at the cathode (which is hydrogen), and I guess hydrogen isn't acidic nor basic, thx a lot, and same to u :)

Reaction score
Chlorine is going out.... The indicator is in the solution... So it won't turn red... It will be colorless... At cathode when Hydrogen is released the solution will be left with OH ions... So due to OH ions it will turn blue or purple... So the answer is D...

Reaction score
Kokeeto said:
Thanks a lot,but doesn't the universal indcator at the cathode test what is formed at the cathode (which is hydrogen), and I guess hydrogen isn't acidic nor basic, thx a lot, and same to u :)

You are right... But as I mentioned... The indicator is in the solution not at the TOP of the tube....