• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry MCQ thread...

Reaction score
smartangel said:
N09 paper 11 Q 28?
The answer should be C. According to the nucleophilic reaction mechanism, first of all a negatively charged thing(nucleophile) will attach the carbon atom of carbonyl group. Oxygen will take an electron from that carbon atom and will get a negative charge. Then the hydrogen from CH3CO2CH3 will be attached with that negatively charged oxygen. But be careful, you shouldn't change the hydrocarbon tails of the ester group.I mean that carbon of ester group should remain attached to CH2 and oxygen from ester group should remain attached to methyl group. This way only one option seems to be the answer. That is C.

Reaction score
What effect does KMnO4 have on alcohols and esters?
The answer's B, by the way, but I don't understand how. :\

Reaction score
Primary alcohols give aldehydes, secondary give ketones & tertiary do not change on oxidation with Kmno4
In this case, B is a tertiary alcohol
& it also releases H2 in a reaction with Na, The COH becomes CONa + H, Got it?

Reaction score
Anonymousx3 said:
What effect does KMnO4 have on alcohols and esters?
The answer's B, by the way, but I don't understand how. :\

Primary and secondary alcohols can be oxidised to their respective carbonyl compounds by oxidation with potassium permanganate or potassium dichromate. B is a tertiary alcohol which can't be oxidised. Alcohols also give hydrogen gas when reacted with sodium metal. Esters can't be oxidised and they also don't give +ve test with sodium metal. So the answer is B.

Reaction score
Anonymousx3 said:
Why is the answer C? D:
Look at the second molecular formula carefully. There's an increase in two oxygen atoms. It means that two carboxylic acid groups have been formed on oxidation. And they can only be formed by aldehydes(primary alcohols). And aldehyde functional groups can only be present at the end of the chains.

Reaction score
The answer's C, but shouldn't it be B?
There's already one ketone group and then you get another on oxidation, which is 2.
Or does the other C=C bond in the benzene ring have something to do with it?

Reaction score
Anonymousx3 said:
The answer's C, but shouldn't it be B?
There's already one ketone group and then you get another on oxidation, which is 2.
Or does the other C=C bond in the benzene ring have something to do with it?

In the very first double bond, CH2 will give you carbon dioxide and water. On double bond's other side there's a methyl group and a ring(consider it as R). As in this case double bonded carbon atom has two other carbon atoms(Or groups) attached to it, so it will be oxidised to a ketone. And for the double bond in the ring. One carboxylic acid will be formed, plus one ketone after the oxidation of that double bond. That leaves you with three ketonic groups only. So you'd need 3 2,4-DNPH molecules. Also, that IS NOT a benzene ring.

Reaction score
'kayy, last question! (for now xD).
I get 38% when I do this. My calculation is:

1 mol ethanol gives 1 mol ester
46g ethanol gives 88g ester
so 30g of ethanol should give (30/46) x 88 = 57.4g ester
However, 22g are actually formed so the %age yield = (22/57.4) x 100 = 38%

The actual answer is 50%.

Reaction score
Anonymousx3 said:
'kayy, last question! (for now xD).
I get 38% when I do this. My calculation is:

1 mol ethanol gives 1 mol ester
46g ethanol gives 88g ester
so 30g of ethanol should give (30/46) x 88 = 57.4g ester
However, 22g are actually formed so the %age yield = (22/57.4) x 100 = 38%

The actual answer is 50%.

No, you've to do this using moles. CIE has given the same masses because they wanted to make the question misleading. Make moles of both ethanol and ethanoic acid. Use the least number of moles to form moles of ester. Those moles of ester will be same as that least number. Convert those moles into grams of the ester. Then divide 22 by that mass. That should give you the correct answer. The reason behind it is that one of them is a limiting reagent.

Reaction score
Anonymousx3 said:
Thanks Zishi, you really helped me out!
Good luck with any exams you have left! :)

No problem. :) And thanks for the good luck - I really need it. ;)

Reaction score
so ready for a tough one ZiShi....

Attachments

• zishi.PNG
    zishi.PNG
    6.9 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
An element,X, conducts electricity in the solid. It has a very high melting point. Its chloride does not dissolve in water. One of its oxides dissolves moderately in water to give a faintly acidic solution.X is likely to be
A aluminium
B graphite
C magnesium
D lead

Reaction score
all A, B, C and D have high melting point.

- graphite is an allotrope of carbon ( meaning the same element of different form )
- Aluminium chloride dissolves in water to give a very acidic solution / magnesium chloride dissolves partially water / chloride of lead and CCl4 do not dissolve in water
- aluminium oxide is insoluble in water / magnesium oxide and lead (II) oxide dissolve in water to give alkaline solution / CO2 dissolves partially in water to give an acidic solution.

ok?

Reaction score
aquariangurl said:
Can you tell me WHY?

See it says on dissolving in water oxide of X gives acidic solution so graphite is the answer!!!

Aluminium can't be the answer coz its oxide is amphoteric i-e it reacts with base like acid and with acid like base!!!

got it??