• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemistry mark expectations

Reaction score
hey guys was wondering what grade i can get with these marks:

p1---38/40
p3---68-69/80
p6---53-54/60

any ideas guys?

I've checked the cie website they say the uniform A* mark is 90%, 180marks for chemistry meaning 90% is 18marks, so i was wondering, thanks :)

Reaction score
^ I'm sorry to tell you, but there is no way you can be certain that 90% will be the required marks to get an A*. It entirely depends upon the threshold. I laugh at people's method of calculating A* from the grade thresholds, when it is CLEARLY stated that A* does NOT exist in individual components. This is simple English- which some of us fail to understand. Our grades will depend on the cumulative curve that will be calculated while our papers are being marked. Also can you please provide us the link, which says that 90% is required for an A*? No, you can't.

Anyways,
p1- 35-36/40
p3- 67-70/80
p6- 48-51/60 << this one was a disaster!!!

Reaction score
Ashique said:
^ I'm sorry to tell you, but there is no way you can be certain that 90% will be the required marks to get an A*. It entirely depends upon the threshold. I laugh at people's method of calculating A* from the grade thresholds, when it is CLEARLY stated that A* does NOT exist in individual components. This is simple English- which some of us fail to understand. Our grades will depend on the cumulative curve that will be calculated while our papers are being marked. Also can you please provide us the link, which says that 90% is required for an A*? No, you can't.

Anyways,
p1- 35-36/40
p3- 67-70/80
here it is
http://ask.cie.org.uk/system/selfservic ... E_ID=64345

Reaction score
Ramosk95 said:
Ashique said:

Anyways,
p1- 35-36/40
p3- 67-70/80
here it is
http://ask.cie.org.uk/system/selfservic ... E_ID=64345
You misunderstand what's written there. If that was true then the grade threshold would never change and that's clearly not the case. That page basically says that an A* translates into a 90% not vice versa. That table is mainly for use by universities that need grades in number form and want to know how they can translates grades into numbers. If that amount required to get a certain grade was the same every year then it wouldn't be fair at all would it seeing how much the difficulty of papers can vary.

Reaction score
man everybody is saying that cie changed the way in which they determine an A so they'll make grade boundaries just like edexcel (but i dunno hope that u're right!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Reaction score
People relax, if you go and look up the grade threshold for past papers the marks needed for A is around:

p1 - 32/40
p3 - 42/80
p5- 29/40 (practical)

For A* just subtract the mark need for B from A and then add the result to the A boundary. (For example if p3 has A boundary of 44 marks and B of 38 marks, then A* will be 50 marks. this is only an example, A* does not exist for single papers, you have to apply this to all papers for overall A*)

This year's chem isn't easier, but not that much, I would say around around 45 for Paper 3. If you get over 60 on paper 3, you pretty much secured an A* not matter how bad you do on other ones (unless you get less than 40% on the other 2 papers, which is unlikely for anyone on this forum, as we are a group of students who actually put in some efforts). paper 3 counts for 50% of entire exam just so you know :)

Btw, what exam did you do the worse in? for me it's the history exam, I misinterpreted some of the pictures on paper 2.