• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry ANions test

Reaction score
can somebody please help me with this question fast cuz I have my Chem atp paper on the 25th.In the test to find out if sulphate ions are present in a precipitate we add dil. nitric acid and then aq. Barium nitrate.I wanted to ask if we can add aq Silver nitrate instead of barium nitrate cause all nitrates are water soluble.Please someone help me! :(

Reaction score
Re: Chemistry Cations test

First of all these are anions... Yeah all nitrates are soluble but silver nitrate is used for the Chloride test not for Sulphate test...

Reaction score

Oh yeah,sorry,got confused.But I don't see the reason why we can't use silver nitrate since all nitrates are soluble :Search:

Reaction score

We can use others but these are the ones taught... For others then the observation may change... And we don't know about each and every compound...

Reaction score
Adzy1794 said:
can somebody please help me with this question fast cuz I have my Chem atp paper on the 25th.In the test to find out if sulphate ions are present in a precipitate we add dil. nitric acid and then aq. Barium nitrate.I wanted to ask if we can add aq Silver nitrate instead of barium nitrate cause all nitrates are water soluble.Please someone help me! :(
If you use silver nitrate, silver sulphate will be formed upon reaction which is soluble is water (colourless solution), so how will you be able to know that sulphate ions were initially present in the solution by visual observation? You have to use barium nitrate because it gives a white precipitate of barium sulphate when it reacts with sulphate ions, thereby indicating the presence of sulphate ions. :)

Reaction score
it is not about the nitrates, it is about barium.
this test is used so that barium sulfate is formed which is insoluble.
this barium sulfate is the white precipitate that is formed indicationg the presence of sulfate anions.
i think u could use lead or calcium nitrates because their sulfates are insoluble too.