• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry and Physics some Keypoints/Notepoints (onDemandOnly) !! :)

Reaction score
Thanks Alot! Jazaki Allah khairaa!!
May Allah S.w.t have mercy on you and your parents, and reward you with Janatul Fidous, Aameen..May Allah S.w.t shower his blessing upon you..!!

Can you tell me a short summary about chromatography please?
Aameen! Wa iyyak!!
Umm..sure:
Chromatography: The Principle used: Partition
Chromatography can be of four types:
  • Paper Chromatography
  • Thin-Layer Chromatography (TLC)
  • High Performance Liquid Chromatograpy (HPLC)
  • Gas Liquid Chromatography (GLC)
-Paper Chromatography:
Mobile Phase: the solvent.
Stationary Phase: the water trapped within the cellulose fibres of the paper.
Two-Way chromatography: The chromatography paper is turned 90' and placed in a different solvent.
-Thin-Layer Chromatography:
Principle: Adsorbtion
Stationary Phase: The solid thst adsorbs the solute molecules onto it's surface.
Mobile Phase: The solute
The solid stationary phase is usually alumina (Al2O3) or silica (SiO2), which mixed with water and spread onto a microscopic slide. then, it's placed in an oven where it dries out into a solid white coating on the glass.
A chromatogram is then made in the similar way as in paper chromatography.
TLC is quicker than paper chromatography cz it cn b used on smaller samples.
-HPLC: Principle: Partition
Stationary Phase: Non-volatile liquid, such as a long-chain hydrocarbon liquid, bonded onto a solid support (like small particles of silica)
Mobile Phase: Polar solvent
Uses: > in medical research to separate peptides and proteins
> analyse urin samples
>monitoring pollutants
-GLC: I don't really have time.. i gotta go now:( I'm very sorry!! InshAllah when i come back i'll continue...
I hope i helped you though....Assalamu Alykum:)

Reaction score
Aameen! Wa iyyak!!
Umm..sure:
  • Paper Chromatography
-Paper Chromatography:

Two-Way chromatography: The chromatography paper is turned 90' and placed in a different solvent.
Stationary Phase: The solid thst adsorbs the solute molecules onto it's surface.
The solid stationary phase is usually alumina (Al2O3) or silica (SiO2), which mixed with water and spread onto a microscopic slide. then, it's placed in an oven where it dries out into a solid white coating on the glass.
Stationary Phase: Non-volatile liquid, such as a long-chain hydrocarbon liquid, bonded onto a solid support (like small particles of silica)
> analyse urin samples
>monitoring pollutants
-GLC: I don't really have time.. i gotta go now:( I'm very sorry!! InshAllah when i come back i'll continue...
OMG, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
SO MUCH !
SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

May Allah reward you for all your help! Aaaaaammmeeeennn!!!!! Jazaki Allah khairan!!!!!!

May Allah s.w.t have mercy on you and your family ! Aameeen

May Alah s.w.t grant you and your family with Janatual Firdous Aaameeeeenn..

THank you...! In Sha Allah you will get, the best results!

Reaction score
Aameen! Wa iyyak!!
Umm..sure:
  • Paper Chromatography
-Paper Chromatography:
> analyse urin samples
>monitoring pollutants
it will be nice if u can also do GLC when u r free..i hate chromatography and ur short summary helps really..thank uuuu!!

Reaction score
OMG, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
SO MUCH !
SOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

May Allah reward you for all your help! Aaaaaammmeeeennn!!!!! Jazaki Allah khairan!!!!!!

May Allah s.w.t have mercy on you and your family ! Aameeen

May Alah s.w.t grant you and your family with Janatual Firdous Aaameeeeenn..

it will be nice if u can also do GLC when u r free..i hate chromatography and ur short summary helps really..thank uuuu!!

THank you...! In Sha Allah you will get, the best results!
Isn GLC Glass Layered Chromatograph?
Wa iyyak PhyZac !
Thank you so much for your sweet prayers, May Allah Grant you twice of what you have prayed for me:) InshAllah!
And to iKhaled and Ariel Robert :
The GLC: Gas Liquid Chromatography.
-Principle: Partition
Mobile Phase: carrier gas- an inert gas that carries the components of the sample along.
Stationary Phase: non-polar, non-volatile liquid
Limitations: If a new compound is detected, then it will not have a mtch in the computer's database of retention times.
The area under each peak obtained is = 1/2 x base x height (the area of a triangle in other words)
If the peaks are very narrow or have similar base widths, then peak height may be used instead of peak area to estimate the proportion of components ina mixture.
for this method:
  • the chromatogram must show peaks for tall the components in the mixture
  • all tthe components of the mixture must be separated
  • the detector must respond equally to the different components so that the peak area is directly proportional to the component concentration.
For a mixture of three esters, A, B, and C, the amount of each component would be:
(approx.) % of ester A= peak area (or height) of A/ sum of areas (or heights) of A, B, and C x 100
Uses:
> for testing steroids
>testing fuels in F1 motor racing.
>medical diagnosis in analysing blood samples
>possible to determine the %'s of dissolved oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, and CO in blood samples as small as 1.0 cm^3.
Note: Both HPLC and GLC have a detector which records retention times: how long it takes for each component to pass through the column.
iKhaled and all those who have the Chem Coursebook: The CD has excellent animations of GLC. Try them. For those who don't, please let me know, I'll explain it in a much more simple manner inshAllah:)
and please, no need for thank you's:) We're all here to help one another. Please do correct me if I am wrong anywhere at all.
Jazakum Allahu Khair!!!

Reaction score
Wa iyyak PhyZac !
Thank you so much for your sweet prayers, May Allah Grant you twice of what you have prayed for me:) InshAllah!
And to iKhaled and Ariel Robert :
The GLC: Gas Liquid Chromatography.
-Principle: Partition
Mobile Phase: carrier gas- an inert gas that carries the components of the sample along.
Stationary Phase: non-polar, non-volatile liquid
Limitations: If a new compound is detected, then it will not have a mtch in the computer's database of retention times.
The area under each peak obtained is = 1/2 x base x height (the area of a triangle in other words)
If the peaks are very narrow or have similar base widths, then peak height may be used instead of peak area to estimate the proportion of components ina mixture.
for this method:
  • the chromatogram must show peaks for tall the components in the mixture
  • all tthe components of the mixture must be separated
  • the detector must respond equally to the different components so that the peak area is directly proportional to the component concentration.
For a mixture of three esters, A, B, and C, the amount of each component would be:
(approx.) % of ester A= peak area (or height) of A/ sum of areas (or heights) of A, B, and C x 100
Uses:
> for testing steroids
>testing fuels in F1 motor racing.
>medical diagnosis in analysing blood samples
>possible to determine the %'s of dissolved oxygen, nitrogen, CO2, and CO in blood samples as small as 1.0 cm^3.
Note: Both HPLC and GLC have a detector which records retention times: how long it takes for each component to pass through the column.
iKhaled and all those who have the Chem Coursebook: The CD has excellent animations of GLC. Try them. For those who don't, please let me know, I'll explain it in a much more simple manner inshAllah:)
and please, no need for thank you's:) We're all here to help one another. Please do correct me if I am wrong anywhere at all.
Jazakum Allahu Khair!!!
thankssssss and unfortunately i have lost the CD haha

Reaction score
Dacore. I'll try uploading the video, if not, then it'll just have to be explained:)

Reaction score
GLC.jpg1) An inert carrier gas such as N2 passes into the gas chromatograph here to flush the mixture of vapors through the instrument.
2) the mixture to be separated is injected into the instrument here, through a self-sealing rubber port.
3) An oven heats the injector to vaporise the contents of the mixture.
4) The column oven keeps the mixture inside the column in the gaseous state and at constant temp.
5) this long, thin column contains the stationary phase, which is often a non-volatile liquid coated onto a solid support. the components of the mixture interact with it to diff extents, so they move through the column at diff rates.
6) this oven keeps the tube that leads to the mass spectrometer warm.
7) the mass spectrometer analyses the components of the mixture as they emerge from the column. From the result you can determine:
> the relative proportions of the components of the mixture (from the relative areas of the peaks obtained from the recorded current flow)
>the identity of each substance (by matching their mass spectra against a computer database of known spectra).

Hope that helps with my explanation inshAllah:)

Reaction score
View attachment 264301) An inert carrier gas such as N2 passes into the gas chromatograph here to flush the mixture of vapors through the instrument.
2) the mixture to be separated is injected into the instrument here, through a self-sealing rubber port.
3) An oven heats the injector to vaporise the contents of the mixture.
4) The column oven keeps the mixture inside the column in the gaseous state and at constant temp.
5) this long, thin column contains the stationary phase, which is often a non-volatile liquid coated onto a solid support. the components of the mixture interact with it to diff extents, so they move through the column at diff rates.
6) this oven keeps the tube that leads to the mass spectrometer warm.
7) the mass spectrometer analyses the components of the mixture as they emerge from the column. From the result you can determine:
> the relative proportions of the components of the mixture (from the relative areas of the peaks obtained from the recorded current flow)
>the identity of each substance (by matching their mass spectra against a computer database of known spectra).

Hope that helps with my explanation inshAllah:)
jazakALLAH!!!
knowitall10.. did any1 tell u that u r so self-less and helpful!! truly a lifesaver!! may ALLAH bless u with success! ameen!

Reaction score
yayy!! lets die together!!! em so freaked out man... on monday i hav chem p4 and maths p3.. then wednesday its physix p4 anh maths S1.. and friday its bio :cry: :( :cry:
"And when calamity befell them, they said: To Allah we belong and to Him do we return"

Surah Al-Baqarah-my translation..can't find the right one on the net:)

Reaction score
"And when calamity befell them, they said: To Allah we belong and to Him do we return"

Surah Al-Baqarah-my translation..can't find the right one on the net:)
jazakALLAH... that is what a sane person does.. work hard.. pray and TRUST ALLAH ALMIGHTY!

Reaction score
jazakALLAH!!!
knowitall10.. did any1 tell u that u r so self-less and helpful!! truly a lifesaver!! may ALLAH bless u with success! ameen!
Jazaki Allahu Khair:) Thank you...^^ That made me feel so self-concious :p
MAy Allah Reward you twice the sucess He rewards me:) aameen!