• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry and Physics some Keypoints/Notepoints (onDemandOnly) !! :)

Reaction score
what is the difference between solubility and the solubility product?

Solubility is the amount of solute that dissolves in 100g or 1000 grams of water at a given temperature.

Solubility product is product of the concentration of ions in an ionic solution raised to the power of their stoichiometric ratios. Solubility product constants are used to describe saturated solutions of ionic compounds of relatively low solubility.

Reaction score
what is the difference between solubility and the solubility product?
Solubility is the number of grams or the number of moles of a compound needed to saturate 100g of water at a given temperature. the solution is saturated when no more solute dissolves in it.
Solubility product, Ksp, is the product of the concentrations of each ion in a saturated solution of a saparingly soluble salt at 298K, raised to the power of their relative concentrations.
(You know what, ignore the "raised to......concentrations" part, t always confuses me:p

Reaction score
Solubility is the amount of solute that dissolves in 100g or 1000 grams of water.

Solubility product is product of the concentration of ions in an ionic solution raised to the power of their stoichiometric ratios. Solubility product constants are used to describe saturated solutions of ionic compounds of relatively low solubility.
Nice:D MashAllah! Even i get it now:p

Reaction score
ASSLAMU ALAYKUM WA RA7MATULLAH!!!

NOTE: THE CHEMISTRY APPLICATIONS BOOKLET SUCKS BIG TIME AND HAS BEEN PROVEN SO BY THE CHEM GUIDE SITE. PLEASE REFER TO THAT SITE FOR THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS AFTER ORGANIC BECAUSE IT IS PRECISELY TO THE POINT AND ACCORDING THE CURRENT SYLLABUS. THE MORE MISTAKES THE GUY POINTS OUT, THE CLOSER I GET TO HAVING A STROKE. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Thank you.
May Allah Help us lead the path of Righteousness:)

Reaction score
Ummm....I'm not very sure Brother....but what i do remember is that it was in my mock exam, and i got the whole thing wrong-which is why i was able to do it later on- i had discussed it with my teacher. But like i said in my post, it's a conceptual explanation. basically it has nothing to do with that question. you understand the topic and apply it to any question relating to electrode potentials and electrolysis:)
If u didn't understand it, please let me know:)

Oh ok then - and your explanation made complete sense, thank you for that!
[btw i'm a girl but whatever]

Reaction score
i would appreciate it if someone can get classified notes on the section of "role of sodium and potassium" int he body this is obviously chemistry btw not physics :p

Reaction score
i would appreciate it if someone can get classified notes on the section of "role of sodium and potassium" int he body this is obviously chemistry btw not physics :p
Brother, which part of Chemistry deals with the role of Na+ and K+ in our body? I can tell u in bio terms, they are involved in the transmission of nerve impulses through neurones. the sodium-potassium pump helps with the maintenance of the resting potential at -60mV. you a biology student? If not, i'll explain the whole thing to u on the bio thread.

Reaction score
Brother, which part of Chemistry deals with the role of Na+ and K+ in our body? I can tell u in bio terms, they are involved in the transmission of nerve impulses through neurones. the sodium-potassium pump helps with the maintenance of the resting potential at -60mV. you a biology student? If not, i'll explain the whole thing to u on the bio thread.
naahhh i actually hate bio (teacher made me hate it) and i got a U in it. it's a chemistry part..in the topic of metals used in biological system and 2 of them are the sodium and potassium ion involved in the cell membran ion transfer stuff

Reaction score
my question is what actually happens so that the sodium ion channel opens. i don't understand what is "when the cell stimulates" the sodium ion channel opens. what do they mean by that? can u tell me what exactly happens so that the sodium channel opens ? thanks in advance!

Reaction score
my question is what actually happens so that the sodium ion channel opens. i don't understand what is "when the cell stimulates" the sodium ion channel opens. what do they mean by that? can u tell me what exactly happens so that the sodium channel opens ? thanks in advance!
Alright..get ready for some bio bro:p

Now gather some of your IGCSE mind here; remember what an axon is? The long extension of the cytoplasm in the neurone?
There are 3 types of protein channels that take part in the transmission of nerve impulses: 1) Sodium-Potassium Pump 2) Sodium voltage-gated channel 3) Potassium Voltage-gated channel
In a resting axon, it is found that the inside of the axon has a slightly negative electrical potential than the outside: -65mV. the difference between the electrical potential is called the potential difference. This is the nerve cell's resting potential- the axon is not transmitting any nerve impulses-. The resting potential is produced and maintained by the activity of the sodium-potassium pump in the plasma membrane of the axon. For each ATP used, 2 K+ions move into the cell and 3Na+ ions move out of the cell. Since only 2 potassium ions are moved into the cell for every three sodium ions moving out, a potential difference is created which is negative on the inside with respect to the outside.
When the axon receives an action potential (nerve impulse), sodium channels are opened, so sodium ions rush into the cell. As the ions continue to flood in, they raise the charge of the inside of the axon to +40mV. The membrane has become depolarised. At this point, the sodium voltage-gated channels close and the potassium voltage-gated channels open. The potassium ions now diffuse out of the axon. The movement of potassium ions towards the outside decreases the positive charge inside the axon, thus returning the potential difference back to normal. This is repolarisation. So many potassium ions leave the cell that the P.D across the membrane becomes even more negative than normal. At this point, the potassium voltage-gated channels close and the sodium-potassium pump begins to act again and the restores the resting potential:)

Ufff...hectic huh?;)
I hope I helped you (I bet you didn't even read half the things I wrote up there:p:p)

Reaction score
Alright..get ready for some bio bro:p

Now gather some of your IGCSE mind here; remember what an axon is? The long extension of the cytoplasm in the neurone?
There are 3 types of protein channels that take part in the transmission of nerve impulses: 1) Sodium-Potassium Pump 2) Sodium voltage-gated channel 3) Potassium Voltage-gated channel
In a resting axon, it is found that the inside of the axon has a slightly negative electrical potential than the outside: -65mV. the difference between the electrical potential is called the potential difference. This is the nerve cell's resting potential- the axon is not transmitting any nerve impulses-. The resting potential is produced and maintained by the activity of the sodium-potassium pump in the plasma membrane of the axon. For each ATP used, 2 K+ions move into the cell and 3Na+ ions move out of the cell. Since only 2 potassium ions are moved into the cell for every three sodium ions moving out, a potential difference is created which is negative on the inside with respect to the outside.
When the axon receives an action potential (nerve impulse), sodium channels are opened, so sodium ions rush into the cell. As the ions continue to flood in, they raise the charge of the inside of the axon to +40mV. The membrane has become depolarised. At this point, the sodium voltage-gated channels close and the potassium voltage-gated channels open. The potassium ions now diffuse out of the axon. The movement of potassium ions towards the outside decreases the positive charge inside the axon, thus returning the potential difference back to normal. This is repolarisation. So many potassium ions leave the cell that the P.D across the membrane becomes even more negative than normal. At this point, the potassium voltage-gated channels close and the sodium-potassium pump begins to act again and the restores the resting potential:)

Ufff...hectic huh?;)
I hope I helped you (I bet you didn't even read half the things I wrote up there:p:p)
too much info!! but helpful after all thanksssss