• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry A2 Doubt

Reaction score
I have a bit of confusion on the electrochemistry portion of A2. While measuring the standard electrode potential where are we supposed to place the standard hydrogen electrode ? On the LHS or the RHS o_O ? Some books shows it on the LHS and some on the RHS and in which directions are cathodes and anodes usually placed, LHS or RHS ? Does any one have an effective note on this topic, please provide me one if you have. Please can anyone clarify my doubt ASAP ! Thanks in advance. (y)

Reaction score
Does it matter where you put it? I don't think so. Basically whether it undergoes reduction or oxidation depends on the electrode potential of the other element as E° of S.H.E. is 0.00V.
Same is the case with cathodes and anodes. In a circuit cathode is the negative terminal while anode the positive. In an electrochemical cell, the electrode at which oxidation occurs (whose E° is more negative/less positive) will be the cathode and the other anode.
Hope it helps. If still in doubt, I'd be glad to help.

Reaction score
Does it matter where you put it? I don't think so. Basically whether it undergoes reduction or oxidation depends on the electrode potential of the other element as E° of S.H.E. is 0.00V.
Same is the case with cathodes and anodes. In a circuit cathode is the negative terminal while anode the positive. In an electrochemical cell, the electrode at which oxidation occurs (whose E° is more negative/less positive) will be the cathode and the other anode.
Hope it helps. If still in doubt, I'd be glad to help.
Oh, if that's the case then I'm clear now. Thanks for you help.