• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry 9701

Reaction score
Chemistry 33 ions......... for tomorrow
I did the chemistry paper 33 and I have a question about Question 3. How are you so sure that ammonium ions were present in FA6? True, that when we heated it, ammonia gas was released... but according to the Tests for Ions, that is clearly NOT the test for ammonium. And when the question asked us to state the ions present in FA6 'as best as possible' , how can you be so sure that ammonium was present? obviously we had to state that Fe2+ and SO4 2- were present because we performed the correct tests for them. Please answer as soon as possible. Thank you :)

Reaction score
I did the chemistry paper 33 and I have a question about Question 3. How are you so sure that ammonium ions were present in FA6? True, that when we heated it, ammonia gas was released... but according to the Tests for Ions, that is clearly NOT the test for ammonium. And when the question asked us to state the ions present in FA6 'as best as possible' , how can you be so sure that ammonium was present? obviously we had to state that Fe2+ and SO4 2- were present because we performed the correct tests for them. Please answer as soon as possible. Thank you :)

Dude, when NaOH is added to something and heated, and a pungent gas is released, that turns litmus paper blue (NH3) then ammonium ions are confirmed. After the exam, my teacher said that ammonium ions were one of the answers.

Reaction score
Dude, when NaOH is added to something and heated, and a pungent gas is released, that turns litmus paper blue (NH3) then ammonium ions are confirmed. After the exam, my teacher said that ammonium ions were one of the answers.
Yea but that's the point... We never added NaOH to anything... We simply heated it... That is NOT the test for the ammonium ion

Reaction score
Yea but that's the point... We never added NaOH to anything... We simply heated it... That is NOT the test for the ammonium ion

Really? I also did P33, I added NaOH in my experiment. I'm sure of it, and the gas produced turn damp litmus paper blue. I honestly don't remember what the Q was exactly, but that's what I did.

Are you sure it didn't say to add NaOH in the Q?

Reaction score
Really? I also did P33, I added NaOH in my experiment. I'm sure of it, and the gas produced turn damp litmus paper blue. I honestly don't remember what the Q was exactly, but that's what I did.

Are you sure it didn't say to add NaOH in the Q?
Yes I'm a 100% sure. You can ask anyone else. It was weird... We didn't have to add NaOH but still ammonia was produced when we simply heated the solid and then they asked us to state 'as best as possible' the ions present... And so I didn't write NH4+ cuz we never really performed the test for it.. So we couldn't really be sure. what do you think ?!

Reaction score
Yes I'm a 100% sure. You can ask anyone else. It was weird... We didn't have to add NaOH but still ammonia was produced when we simply heated the solid and then they asked us to state 'as best as possible' the ions present... And so I didn't write NH4+ cuz we never really performed the test for it.. So we couldn't really be sure. what do you think ?!
Actually we did have to add NH3(aq) or NaOH(aq) (not sure) in the second part of the question, which is completely different from the first part. The same test that confirmed the presence of Fe2+ ions also confirmed the presence of ammonium ions, you probably forgot to test for ammonia.

Reaction score
Actually we did have to add NH3(aq) or NaOH(aq) (not sure) in the second part of the question, which is completely different from the first part. The same test that confirmed the presence of Fe2+ ions also confirmed the presence of ammonium ions, you probably forgot to test for ammonia.
No in the second part... They didn't tell us to heat it or to test for any gases produced so I don't think so

Reaction score
No in the second part... They didn't tell us to heat it or to test for any gases produced so I don't think so
They always tell us at the start of the question to test for any gasses produced. Also I asked my teacher after the exam, he told me that ammonia WAS present and that we had to test for it with Fe2+. :D
p.s. He was the examiner

Reaction score
They always tell us at the start of the question to test for any gasses produced. Also I asked my teacher after the exam, he told me that ammonia WAS present and that we had to test for it with Fe2+. :D
p.s. He was the examiner
Idk man ... I don't think so but whatever. Usually they would tell us to heat something and then we had to use our common sense and test for a gas. The question simply stated to add NaOH and record any observations. You don't just heat stuff even when they don't tell you to. Go through every past paper... If ever they want you to test for ammonium they always tell you to heat it or warm carefully or something like that.

Reaction score
p.s. He was the examiner
And also one more thing... I just remembered that in the second part they asked us to add NH3, not NaOH.... Even more reason to not heat it.... Look at the Analysis Notes for NH3 with ammonium ions... There would be no observation and if u heated it with NH3 and u got ammonia gas produced... Then that could have been from the NH3 (aq) that you added... Not from FA6. Think about it...