• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry 21

Reaction score
Q4 last part the cyclohexene didnt get oxidises to carboxylic acid..this was a tricky question since the carbon is attached to 2 other methyl groups so it would be oxidised to a ketone, instead.
no its doesnt form a ketone at all, all cyclics alkens form carboxylic acids when oxidised

Reaction score
As far as i know a change in pressure does affect the equilibrium position when there are gases involved.....an increase in pressure favors the side with fewer moles, so in the case of methanol i think the products side was favored.....it is only the equilibrium CONSTANT that is not affected by a change in pressure...:)
see, what is equilibrium constant; it is the ratio of amt of products to reactants, you know that Kp does not change; and the question asks about the equilibrium yield so at equilibrium the Kp is unchanged so higher pressure will NOT affect the amt of methanol AT EQUILIBRIUM.;)

Reaction score
obviously increase as it depends on where there are less no. of moles which was in the forward direction i suppose
see, what is equilibrium constant; it is the ratio of amt of products to reactants, you know that Kp does not change; and the question asks about the equilibrium yield so at equilibrium the Kp is unchanged so higher pressure will NOT affect the amt of methanol AT EQUILIBRIUM.;)

Reaction score
what was the equation exactly i am confused!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
what was the equation exactly i am confused!!!!!!!!!!!
the question stated that if higher pressure is done to the reaction, what is the effect on the equilibrium yield of methanol?Explain your answer.
CO2+3H2 <---------> CH3OH + H2O

Jaf

Reaction score
You, sir thought way too much for the question.

Here's the link to a similar reaction and it tells you what happens to the equilibrium yield when you have a higher pressure:
http://webpages.sou.edu/~chapman/ch203/Ch15/15_56.html

Reaction score
bro u r confused...... there is a HUGE diff btwn equilibrium constant and equilibrium yield....but it's okay now chem is over for AS:)

Reaction score
Guys, for the percentage purity, I rounded my figures, and ended up getting 92.4%. Like in the first question the no. of moles was 0.03125 or something, I simply took 0.03. How many marks do I lose for rounding my answers?

Reaction score
we had to calculate hydrogen atoms in the last question, what did you guys get? everybody in my school got different answers o_O i got 6 x 10^21

Reaction score
if u put -49 in ur working bu didnt put it for d actual ans wud they still giv u ur mark or not ?

Reaction score
if u put -49 in ur working bu didnt put it for d actual ans wud they still giv u ur mark or not ?
i think you would get ur mark, because it shows in the paper somewhere..it doesnt matter if u write it in the place where u should right ur answer or not but logically u should get ur mark cuz u got it right and that shows the examiner u understood the question, so u deserve the mark...thats what i guess though :)

Reaction score
bro u r confused...... there is a HUGE diff btwn equilibrium constant and equilibrium yield....but it's okay now chem is over for AS:)
see, look at this site http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03747.htm, at the end u will see that when the pressure is altered the
system is no longer in equilibrium. "hanges in concentrations or pressures result in a perturbation of the equilibrium such that the system is momentarily not at
equilibrium"

Reaction score
You, sir thought way too much for the question.

Here's the link to a similar reaction and it tells you what happens to the equilibrium yield when you have a higher pressure:
http://webpages.sou.edu/~chapman/ch203/Ch15/15_56.html

see, look at this site http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03747.htm, at the end u will see that when the pressure is altered the
system is nolongerin equilibrium. "Changes in concentrations or pressures result in a perturbation of the equilibrium such that the system is momentarily not at
equilibrium."