• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

chemical bonding concept urgent help required

Reaction score
please iam really confused:( can some one please explain
first of all shorter the bond stronger the bond as like for example double bond are shorter then single bond because they have more number of electron shared to greater attration between the electron and adjacent nucei so it means bond is more strong as there is strong electrostatic force and also bond energy is directly proportional to bond strengh as more energy required to break bond so bond have a higher strength. now my confusion comes like it means bond strength is inverslt proportional to bond reactivity because if bond strength is more then it means more energy is required to break the bond to make the reaction favorable am i correct?? so now regarding relation with bond polarity more difference in electronegativity if a bond is more polar so it wil have high reactivity as more electronegative element is away from the electro positive element so it would easily reactive compared to which is nonpolar or which is less polar. now so as it would me more polar so its strenth would be loow as difference in electronegativity would be high so its intramolecular forces would be strong???? so am i right with all of these concept??? if not where am i lacking because this is where i always get confused because in every book its explained in different ways so ithough of asking here is my understing right???
please help.
one more thing theese apply to only covalent bons right???
not for inter molecular forces such as vanderwaal forces and hydrogen bonding and permnanet dipole-dipole forces????????
thanks for helping:)

Reaction score
Well u are juggling too many concepts simultaneously......
Lets handle them one by one......
1.Shorter the bond,the stronger it is....(Correct)
2.bond energy is directly propotional to bond strength.........(your reasoning is correct)
3.bond strength is indeed inversely propotional to bond reactivity(N2 is unreactive cause it has a triple bond thus requiring higher input of energy for successful collisions with other reactants)....
4.If a bond is more polar it is more reactive
- One more important point.....THE INTRAMOLECULAR AND INTERMOLECULAR FORCES ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS......INTRAMOLECULAR DETERMINES THE CHEMICAL PROPERTIES WHILE INTERMOLECULAR FORCES DETERMINE PHYSICAL PROPERTIES LIKE BOILING POINT ETC.................Hope that helps.....:)

Reaction score
but how is it neccassary that intermolecular forces just accounts for the chemical properties because inoci bond and covalent etc are also responsible for how strong a bond is means its physics properties like melting and boinling points:)
one more thing like for example co means c triple bond with o and n triple bond with n both have same bond lenght so almost same bond strenght but if you see c triple bond is more polar due to the difference in electronegativity so its more reactive wheras n triple bond n is unreactive because its non polar so doesnt it mean polar the bond more reactive the bond??

Reaction score
It is not the bonds that are responsible coz for e.g......when you heat I2 it vaporizes right....???? When you are supplying heat you are only overcoming the intermolecular forces not breaking the covalent bond.........The I-I bond will still be there in the gaseous state(it wont break).......The breaking of bond only comes into being when there I2 is reacting........Thus its strength doesnt have anything to do with the mp and bp.... In ionic bonds its sorta different........Electrostatic forces is the only thing they have within their structure thats contributing to high mp and bp so you can sorta say that ionic bonds are responsible for high mp and bp

Reaction score
Sorry about the other concept but i think u are right.......Sorry....:(
I made the changes in my post above....:/

Reaction score
can any one give the link from which i can get chemistry aslevel topical pastpapers