• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEM PP3! HELP!

Reaction score
Contact process

Catalyst is vanadium(IV) oxide
and temp is 450C
And pressure is 2 atm pressure

What about haber process?

Catalyst is iron and temp is 450C but what is the pressure?

Please fast!

Reaction score
Adahshan said:
Contact process

and temp is 450C

Please fast!

BTW no pressure is used for the contact process, it`s under atmospheric pressure as sulphuric acid is at 96%

haber process:

1-powederd iron catalyst because it increses the surface area and catalysis the reaction
2-temp. 450: high enough for economical reaction and low enough for a reasonable yield
3-pressure: 200 atm, as pressure increase, rate of reaction and amount of yield increases BUT this is expensive ! so 200 atm used

hope it helped :)
good luck

Reaction score
moonlight22 said:
Adahshan said:
Contact process

and temp is 450C

Please fast!

BTW no pressure is used for the contact process, it`s under atmospheric pressure as sulphuric acid is at 96%

haber process:

1-powederd iron catalyst because it increses the surface area and catalysis the reaction
2-temp. 450: high enough for economical reaction and low enough for a reasonable yield
3-pressure: 200 atm, as pressure increase, rate of reaction and amount of yield increases BUT this is expensive ! so 200 atm used

hope it helped :)
good luck

he is right:D

Reaction score
The catalyst is always known to be powdered to have a large surface area, that i understand

and temp 450 is optimum for both reaction and yield.

Pressure is 250 Atm pressure

Also, i know no pressure is used for contact process but i read somewhere it should be low.. but thanks for telling me about the contact process.

Also equilibrium doesn't work with haber process right? since the pressure isn't changing and only the temperature is right? but with contact process equilibrium takes place to make the yield and the rate reasonable, Since increasing rate decreases yield, but decreasing rate, is increasing yield. When we add vanadium(IV) oxide, it lowers the activation rate making it that the rate is reasonable instead of high and that the yield is reasonable instead of low.

Confirm if what i'm saying is correct.

Reaction score
equillibrium work in haber also coz if the pressure is the same and the product are more than the reactant it will
definitely change to reactant .

hope u got it :D

Reaction score
I didnt get anything you said.

Pressure cannot be changed in equilibrium. Only temp can be controlled??

Reaction score
pressure move the equillibrium to the low mole side so if the product is low more product will be produced but once
the product is greater than the reactant it will convert it back to the reactant.
that is when we get the most product we collect them so it wont convert back to i=the reactant again.
pressure rule:
increaseing pressure shift the eqiuillibrium to the low mole side
decreaseing pressure shift equlibrium to the high mole side

hope u got it now :D

Reaction score
Yes, but temp has a role also?!! Why only pressure lol.

Increasing pressure, then eq tries to decrease it, shifts in products side, so more products than reactants. and opposite.

Is that right?

Reaction score
yeah depending on the mole of product :D
and temp also hv the role to increase the product but once the product reaches the max
the pressure shift it to the reactant and temp go against it
that is why reacts=ant is formed slower than product :D

Reaction score
dude your complicating me to the max.

If we increase temp were increasing rate so decreasing products. This causes pressure to shift to the side of products.

Reaction score
take a deep breath :D
and

the reaction is exothermic right??
if we increase the temp it goes to the endothermic side so i go to the left (reactant)
so when we decrease the temp a bit (temp isnt up to 1000'C )
and use the help of the pressure we can get more product.
once the product is at maximum there is no reactant so it started to shift to the reactant
so product convert to reactant.
the pressure is making the product convert to reactant but the temp is trying to stop it
so the reactant going to be produced will be slower coz the temp is preventing it to happen.

so thet is why product are taken out be fore it convert into reactant.

hope u understand now :D
if u dont try asking by point and ill answer them so u could understand :)

Reaction score
Adahshan said:
dude your complicating me to the max.

If we increase temp were increasing rate so decreasing products. This causes pressure to shift to the side of products.

Haber process:

as the temperature increases, this favours endothermic / reverse reaction , so the rate of yeast produced decreases
as the temperature decreases, this favours exothermic / forward reaction, so the rate of yeast produced increases

so 450 celsius is the optimum temperature :)

hope it helped

Reaction score
guys..guys,the conditions are:
temperature is 450C
atmospheric pressure: 200 ATM
catalyst: iron
15% of the mixture (N2+3H2) gives ammonia and the remaining (85%) will be recycled
HOPE I HELPED :) :)