• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CHEM P6

Reaction score
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridg ... 9_qp_6.pdf

Last question 7B.

I don't understand chromatography in there, Like id say use chromatography paper, spots added on base line of the extraction and water is used as a solvent and then spots are shown. Would that get me the 4 marks or what? And what is the diff between the solvent and the spots. And in here isn't the extract the solvent or the spot? CONFUSED!

Reaction score
Adahshan said:
http://www.xtremepapers.me/CIE/Cambridge%20IGCSE/0620%20-%20Chemistry/0620_w09_qp_6.pdf

Last question 7B.

I don't understand chromatography in there, Like id say use chromatography paper, spots added on base line of the extraction and water is used as a solvent and then spots are shown. Would that get me the 4 marks or what? And what is the diff between the solvent and the spots. And in here isn't the extract the solvent or the spot? CONFUSED!

Solvent would be alcohol as they are not water soluble.. A labelled diagram is the easiest path to 4 marks, just remember to not put the solvent level above the origin line.
If you want to explain, just explain it step by step... Draw the origin line in pencil, place a spot on the line, dip the bottom in the solvent, observe the colour moving up the paper.

Reaction score
So wait, I don't draw.

I can say :

Chromotography paper used
Origin line drawen by pencil
Spot placed on the line from the extraction
Dip the chromotography paper inside solvent (Only up to the base line)
Observe spots moving up the paper

Would that gain full mark? and can you explain again the dipping of paper inside solvent and wether it must not go over baseline etc..

Reaction score
when you dip the chromatogram in the solvent make sure that you dont dip the datum line as it will complete ruin the experiment, because the different pigments wont rise up the chromatogram and will just dissolve into the solvent ... and also make sure that you dont draw the datum line with pen (ink) as it will interfere with the experiment and cause results to be inaccurate .
hope that helps. 8)