• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem.p34 answer discussion...

Reaction score
My Q2 was like this:

FA5 (i) Effervescence noted, brown gas released which is identified as NO2 due to color
(ii) Effervescence, Solution turns brown, black-brown ppt formed which dissolves and brown gas NO2 given off, identified due to color
(iii) Purple color of KMNo4 decolorised, effervescence, brown gas given off, identified as NO2 due to color.

FA6 (i) Missed because of time.
(ii) Dissolves to form colorless solution in H2O. Heating with NaOH(aq) causes colorless gas to be evolved, turns red litmus blue. Identified as NH3

FA7 (i) Melts into colorless liquid. Upon standing, first becomes colorless suspension then white solid obtained when water evaporates.
(ii) Dissolves to form colorless solution in H2o. Upon heating with NaOH(aq), colorless gas evolved, turns blue litmus red.

Element: Nitrogen
Type: Oxidation

b)
Reagents: NaOH(aq), NH3(aq)

FB8 (i) Add 1cm depth NaOH (aq) to 1cm depth FB8, then add excess NaOH(aq) Greenish ppt formed insoluble in excess (forgot exact color)
(ii) Add 1cm depth NH3 (aq) to 1 cm depth FB8, then add excess NH3(aq) Blue solution formed

FB9 (i) Add 1cm depth NaOH(aq) to 1cm depth FB9, then add excess NaOH(aq) Pale green ppt formed, insol. in excess
(ii) Add 1cm depth NH3(aq) to 1 cm depth FB9, then add excess NH3(aq) Pale green ppt formed, insol. in excess

(The table above was really cramped for FB9, so I wrote legibly but very small.)

FB9
Explanation: Observations made match notes on chart.

Missed the last two parts of the question. How many marks out of 14-16 (the no. of marks it was worth) should I expect in this question?

Reaction score
My Q2 was like this:

FA5 (i) Effervescence noted, brown gas released which is identified as NO2 due to color
(ii) Effervescence, Solution turns brown, black-brown ppt formed which dissolves and brown gas NO2 given off, identified due to color
(iii) Purple color of KMNo4 decolorised, effervescence, brown gas given off, identified as NO2 due to color.

(ii) Dissolves to form colorless solution in H2O. Heating with NaOH(aq) causes colorless gas to be evolved, turns red litmus blue. Identified as NH3

FA7 (i) Melts into colorless liquid. Upon standing, first becomes colorless suspension then white solid obtained when water evaporates.
(ii) Dissolves to form colorless solution in H2o. Upon heating with NaOH(aq), colorless gas evolved, turns blue litmus red.

b)

FB8 (i) Add 1cm depth NaOH (aq) to 1cm depth FB8, then add excess NaOH(aq) Greenish ppt formed insoluble in excess (forgot exact color)
(ii) Add 1cm depth NH3 (aq) to 1 cm depth FB8, then add excess NH3(aq) Blue solution formed

FB9 (i) Add 1cm depth NaOH(aq) to 1cm depth FB9, then add excess NaOH(aq) Pale green ppt formed, insol. in excess
(ii) Add 1cm depth NH3(aq) to 1 cm depth FB9, then add excess NH3(aq) Pale green ppt formed, insol. in excess

(The table above was really cramped for FB9, so I wrote legibly but very small.)

FB9

Missed the last two parts of the question. How many marks out of 14-16 (the no. of marks it was worth) should I expect in this question?
MashaAllah...goood memory:)...

Reaction score
My Q2 was like this:

b)

FB9

Redox

+3/-3

And gotta right crystallization or something, cross checked it with many for FA7 i)

Reaction score
"FB9 (i) Add 1cm depth NaOH(aq) to 1cm depth FB9, then add excess NaOH(aq) Pale green ppt formed, insol. in excess
(ii) Add 1cm depth NH3(aq) to 1 cm depth FB9, then add excess NH3(aq) Pale green ppt formed, insol. in excess"

^^ Turns brown when in contact with air (it actually did).

And yea, I guess the rest are correct (Whatever you've missed out, Idon't remember those, but they were easy. There was this red brown ppt formed when KMnO4 is added to FB9)

Reaction score
My Q2 was like this:

b)

FB9

increadable memory !!! what do u eat lol ??

Reactions: egy