• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chem.p34 answer discussion...

Reaction score
Guys Plz answer!!!
i WROTE EVERYTHING :p every single obervation i could seee :) .
The non metal was NITROGEN ... as it was amonium ion in FB6 and Nitrate ion in FB5 :) and its oxidation states were +3 and -3 :) then my titre values were 15.9 and 23 point something ........ :)

Reaction score
The non metal was NITROGEN ... as it was amonium ion in FB6 and Nitrate ion in FB5 :) and its oxidation states were +3 and -3 :) then my titre values were 15.9 and 23 point something ........ :)
The oxidation values were+3 and+5 as they were NO3— and NO2—

Reaction score

... Isn't the oxidation state of Nitrogen in the Ammonium +5?

And how many marks would I lose if my reading differs by 1.0 cm3 from the Supervisor's?

Reaction score
The oxidation values were+3 and+5 as they were NO3— and NO2—
... Isn't the oxidation state of Nitrogen in the Ammonium +5?

And how many marks would I lose if my reading differs by 1.0 cm3 from the Supervisor's?

it was ammonium it gave ammonia gas with NaOH and heating ..... and in Ammonium it NH4+ .... hydrogen has +1 stat and overall is +1 that means total H charge is 4+ so nitrogens is -3 :)

Reaction score
Nitrite was present in FB5, Ammonium in FB6 and Nitrate in FB7. This I know for a fact, because I confirmed it with my Sir who was a supervisor.

That's because FB5 decolorized KMnO4- and produced brown nitrogen dioxide gas on addition of dilute acid; nitrite can do that, not nitrate.

Reaction score
SuperGirl123, nitrite is nt a non-metal, its a compound, right??
I thnk d non metal ws nitrogen, n FB5 had NO2 FB6 hd NH4+:unsure:

Reaction score
Nitrite was present in FB5, Ammonium in FB6 and Nitrate in FB7. This I know for a fact, because I confirmed it with my Sir who was a supervisor.

That's because FB5 decolorized KMnO4- and produced brown nitrogen dioxide gas on addition of dilute acid; nitrite can do that, not nitrate.

SuperGirl123, nitrite is nt a non-metal, its a compound, right??
I thnk d non metal ws nitrogen, n FB5 had NO2 FB6 hd NH4+:unsure:

well than your supervisor must be wrong :p cuz NO2 was liberated by FB5 so it was definitely Nitrate :p and FB6 had ammonium and FB7 might have nitrite but am not sure :p

and yes gary you are right in all cases :) yes nitrite is a compound you had to write the NON METAL present in FB5 and FB6 which was nitrogen :)

Reaction score
well than your supervisor must be wrong :p cuz NO2 was liberated by FB5 so it was definitely Nitrate :p and FB6 had ammonium and FB7 might have nitrite but am not sure :p

and yes gary you are right in all cases :) yes nitrite is a compound you had to write the NON METAL present in FB5 and FB6 which was nitrogen :)

My supervisor can't be wrong, because he prepared the solution in the first place. o-o He knows what he put into it.

Dude, NO2 is liberated by nitrites. Go check the Analysis table again. Nitrites liberate colorless NO with dilute acids which rapidly oxidises to nasty brown fumes of NO2. And only Nitrite can decolorize KMnO4 - KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent, it oxidizes nitrite to nitrate and turns from purple to colorless.

Reaction score
My supervisor can't be wrong, because he prepared the solution in the first place. o-o He knows what he put into it.

Dude, NO2 is liberated by nitrites. Go check the Analysis table again. Nitrites liberate colorless NO with dilute acids which rapidly oxidises to nasty brown fumes of NO2. And only Nitrite can decolorize KMnO4 - KMnO4 is an oxidizing agent, it oxidizes nitrite to nitrate and turns from purple to colorless.

i am sooo soryyy :p :p LOL you are right i am mixing nitrtite with nitrate :p :p but i did correct in my paper i got +3 oxidation state on nitrogen :p lol sorry :p

Reaction score
If I wrote the reaction type as oxidation, will the examiner cut the mark for that part?

Reaction score
what if our titatre value is incorect..but our all calculations are corect and drawn the table corect with alla units and corect d.p..plz telll ../
2 marks max will be deducted for inaccurate results..but if you`ve done moles correctly you`ll get the marks for the calculations regardless of your inaccurate titre value :)