• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Can't decide my fourth subject at A-Level:

Reaction score
Hi,i can't decide my fourth subject at A level.The choices i have are World History,Computer Science and Biology.I am not interested in Biology and don't want to become a doctor in the future but i think if i leave it,i will have less career paths open for me in the future and i will seriously regret it.Computer Science,on the other hand is pretty mainstream in my country and i don't find it that interesting even though I am thinking of becoming a programmer and graphic designer in the future.I like and have a deep interest in World History but i think its a hard subject with a lot of memorizing. Please help me!I have only got about a week and i am so tensed!!!

Plus how hard are A levels and how much effort and devotion is needed?

I would be eternally grateful for any help offered to me.

Reaction score
Hi,i can't decide my fourth subject at A level.The choices i have are World History,Computer Science and Biology.I am not interested in Biology and don't want to become a doctor in the future but i think if i leave it,i will have less career paths open for me in the future and i will seriously regret it.Computer Science,on the other hand is pretty mainstream in my country and i don't find it that interesting even though I am thinking of becoming a programmer and graphic designer in the future.I like and have a deep interest in World History but i think its a hard subject with a lot of memorizing. Please help me!I have only got about a week and i am so tensed!!!

Plus how hard are A levels and how much effort and devotion is needed?

I would be eternally grateful for any help offered to me.
You shouldn't be afraid of memorisation, nearly every subject requires that. You say that you are not interested in biology, in that case I suggest you don't take it. You see, you're right technically that your career choices will be lesser, but that's true for any subject. There are LOADS of jobs available, biology requiring ones will be a tiny fraction, so biology won't limit your choices much. Like you said, you don't wanna be a doctor. So why would you take it? Many universities allow medical courses even without bio! In sciences, chemistry is something I'd suggest anyone to take.
You also said you wanted to go into computer programming in the future. So you SHOULD take it. There's many ways it will help. Firstly, it'll help you decide whether you actually like this field. Perhaps you wouldn't enjoy it, and it's better to not enjoy just two years of studies instead of not enjoying your entire life job. Secondly, computer courses in unis will obviously prefer students who scored good in computer science at A level.
You said you have a deep interest in World History. In this case, I highly recommend you to take it. In my opinion, people should take subjects they are interested in, so that they'd be motivated to learn. Don't worry about memorisation, that happens in many subjects, including bio. History will give you deep insight into how we came to where we are today.

I think you have two choices here: computer science and History. You should rule out bio if you don't like it. The choice is yours to make of course, but I'd probably go for computer science if I wanted to do a job in that field. However, if you've got other plans for going into the field, you should go for history!

As for study tips, have a look at my answers here:
https://www.xtremepapers.com/community/threads/study-plan-for-as-level.42216/

Reaction score
I got AABBBBBB (bad is an understatement) in olevels BUT A*AABB (yes I took 5 alevels. One of the five alevels I took 3 months before the final exam as a Composite. I had NO knowledge of the subject at all before I decide to take it in mid January)

Now what I did was I first finished all the syllabus for my subjects at least 3 to 4 times by myself. Let me tell you, it's actually VERY easy to finish your syllabus for all subjects. All you have to do is read and understand. While finishing your syllabus, highlight all the relevant sections and the parts you don't understand

My second tip is USE YOUR TEACHER. I pestered my biology teacher enormously, especially during the the last month, April, majority of students don't go to school because they're preparing. I on the other hand went to school till nearly he end. I sat with my biology teacher, told her I need help so she had to schedule time to help me etc basically I used my teachers attended classes , made sure she helped me if I didn't understand. I got ALL my past papers in the first term, so any question I didn't understand I would just mark it and take it to my teacher

Now this is VITAL for your exams, read EVERY EXAMINER REPORT. They are AMAZING, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE IT! Go through every Pastpaper, Mark scheme and EXAMINER REPORT and write NOTES for your past papers, like certain questions which used a tricky approach

All in all I'll say towards the end I studied for about 5-6 hours however I would say I largely worked SMART not Too HARD. By start I mean I became familiar with what my examiners wanted to read and facts that would separate me from B or C grade student such as being up to date with the subject etc

Reaction score
Impressive :p
I got AABBBBBB (bad is an understatement) in olevels BUT A*AABB (yes I took 5 alevels. One of the five alevels I took 3 months before the final exam as a Composite. I had NO knowledge of the subject at all before I decide to take it in mid January)

Now what I did was I first finished all the syllabus for my subjects at least 3 to 4 times by myself. Let me tell you, it's actually VERY easy to finish your syllabus for all subjects. All you have to do is read and understand. While finishing your syllabus, highlight all the relevant sections and the parts you don't understand

My second tip is USE YOUR TEACHER. I pestered my biology teacher enormously, especially during the the last month, April, majority of students don't go to school because they're preparing. I on the other hand went to school till nearly he end. I sat with my biology teacher, told her I need help so she had to schedule time to help me etc basically I used my teachers attended classes , made sure she helped me if I didn't understand. I got ALL my past papers in the first term, so any question I didn't understand I would just mark it and take it to my teacher

Now this is VITAL for your exams, read EVERY EXAMINER REPORT. They are AMAZING, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE IT! Go through every Pastpaper, Mark scheme and EXAMINER REPORT and write NOTES for your past papers, like certain questions which used a tricky approach

All in all I'll say towards the end I studied for about 5-6 hours however I would say I largely worked SMART not Too HARD. By start I mean I became familiar with what my examiners wanted to read and facts that would separate me from B or C grade student such as being up to date with the subject etc