• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Can the invigilator stop my further examinations?

Reaction score
I am a student registered as an IGCSE Candidate
for May/June 2011 session.

We had a Biology Paper 3 exam today which had a
duration of 1 hour and 15 minutes.

The invigilators use an analogue wall clock to
time the ongoing examination.

I use my Digital Watch's built in Stopwatch
feature to help me time the Exam in order to help
me take the exam at a suitable pace and keep a
track of time.

I start the stopwatch at the same time the
invigilator tells us to start writing.

However, she had stopped the exam a few times
before the allotted time printed in the question.
In today's examination, she had told us to stop
writing at 1 hour 13 minutes and 47 seconds
exactly, according to my Digital Stopwatch, which
is most likely to be more accurate than the
analogue wall clock.

Therefore, after the examination, I had talked
to the invigilator and had told her that she had
taken stopped the examination about a minute
early.

She responded to me in a harsh manner. I was humiliated.
What she had told me was that I do not have the right to
question her words and that she had looked at the
analogue wall clock when she had asked us to stop
writing.

As a candidate, I believe I have the right to
complete my paper and revise it until the last
second of the duration given by the CIE.

She had made me write a note in which I was
forced to write that I had questioned the
invigilator. She had told me that she would report
me to CIE for questioning her authority and
thereby, cancel my further examinations.

I have 2 more exams left for this session and I
honestly feel that I had done nothing wrong by
telling her that she had given us less time, based
on the timings of my stopwatch. I was not rude to
her either and said nothing further to avoid
further problems.

Will I be penalized for it even if I believe
that I had done nothing wrong by asking for the
time we all deserved?

I have sent this exact message to CIE through their Contact Form.

:(

Reaction score
Nothing will happen to you. The invigilators show their authority for nothing. I have seen invigilators who can't even speak proper English, and they are over excercising their authority. I was once given a note to write because I was talking to a guy after completing and submitting our papers to the invigilator. In the end, nothing happened. So there is nothing to be tensed about. You didn't do anything wrong.

Reaction score
INVIGILATORS are boring and stupid most of times dont go on them CIE knows well she will report u CIE will check it and if you havent done anything wrong you wont be penalized dont worry dont take tension concentrate on your next exam.....INVIGILATORS also dont give water some times when i ask them that makes me angry alot

Reaction score
True, they act all bossy and mean, for goodness know what reason. There was an electricity shortage and the building was cut of from the supply for 2 minutes, so the invigilator took our papers early and didn't give extra time. That was hardly fair, but she didn't let us write any more. :unknown:

Reaction score
If i was you i would have had a little chat with her outside :p ...these ppl are mentally sick and want to prove that they are some one in this community by doing such things for attention .

even in our listening exam the school was beside a mosque and there was azan and it was very loud ,most of our class couldn't solve a whole page because we couldn't hear the tape and when we asked them to replay the track they all said that it is not possible .

and don't worry ,invigilators can't do shit about this .

Reaction score
hamid did u remember abt my ict emaill?? cie didnt reply me since now.. SO what they've decided?? please tell me if u have knwledge abt that.. thanks

Reaction score
Ikr they act like they're royal personalities or something. With their mean faces and crappy attitudes.

Reaction score
ali123456789 said:
hamid did u remember abt my ict emaill?? cie didnt reply me since now.. SO what they've decided?? please tell me if u have knwledge abt that.. thanks

I don't think you need to be concerned about that. You told your school the whole detail, right? They will handle the matter with CIE. You don't need to be tensed.

Reaction score
And I hated being humiliated like that. She had even told me to take off my Prefect's badge and said she'll send me to the principal and stuff. She is a senior teacher in our school and no one dares to speak out against her even if she's wrong. I for one am not of those people who fear those who express their bossy nature.
I know I haven't done anything wrong, but there's no evidence of that and if she reports to CIE, I think they'll accept the invigilator's statement instead of mine, because a student is always wrong...at least that's how people look at us at our school.

Reaction score
They need like SOLID PROOF that you provoked her but since you just claimed your right, there's no chance of things going her way. So chill, and prepare for your next exam.

Reaction score
My next exam is on the 26th. I hope she won't create a scene when I enter the exam hall and harass me again. :(

Reaction score
arlery said:
They need like SOLID PROOF that you provoked her but since you just claimed your right, there's no chance of things going her way. So chill, and prepare for your next exam.

She made me write a note. I wrote this (as far as I remember).

"The duration of the biology exam was timed by referring to an analogue wall clock and I have used my digital watch's stopwatch to time the examination as well.
The exam was stopped after being referred to the analogue clock and according to my digital stopwatch, the paper was taken 1 minute early, for which I had questioned the invigilator."

I don't know what she'll do with this, but she told me she'll send this to CIE in my report.
Does that go against me?

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. It doesn't go against you. It just states what you said in a concise manner. This is no form whatsoever breaks CIE rules, as far as I'm aware of them.

Reaction score
arlery said:
Nothing wrong with it. It doesn't go against you. It just states what you said in a concise manner. This is no form whatsoever breaks CIE rules, as far as I'm aware of them.

Thanks.

This is what I get for standing up against unfair judgments.

Reaction score
No prob, you have every right to stand up for yourself. In fact, you could complain to CIE about unfair practices, mentioning her and this whole thing. THen it'll go against her, because CIE need to be informed of these malpractices.

Reaction score
Nothing's gonna happen to you, probably she's the one that should be worried.
And I gotta agree the era of analogue clocks should be over, specially when it's exam times we're timing here, every minute counts.

Reaction score
Divalicious said:
Nothing's gonna happen to you, probably she's the one that should be worried.
And I gotta agree the era of analogue clocks should be over, specially when it's exam times we're timing here, every minute counts.

Last year, the Physics Paper 3 was lengthy and she took the paper away 4 minutes earlier, and I had a 4 mark question left to complete when she took the papers.

I ended up with an A because of it. I knew I could have gotten an A* if I had more time.

So I've been timing my exams this year using my digital watch's stopwatch.

I believe that Digital Stopwatches are more accurate.

They should use special digital stopwatch devices instead. Analogue clocks get fast by a minute or 2 each day.

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's taken away 5 minutes early if:

1) You finish early.
2) Everyone's paper is taken away 5 minutes early.

Keep in mind that all invigilators are using analogue clocks, so all the students the world over are taking exams with the same amount of time to complete it.

It *would* be unfair if you are timed differently, i.e., given an extra 4 minutes.

Fairness is based on consistency rather than accuracy.

Reaction score
nupe not possible dude
Cambridge aint like dat
trust me
Next day u go for exam she will be fine
i ensure u this
dont worry