• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

can i still get an A* in biology ?

Reaction score
i gave AS biology last year...Got a B , but my component result was
P1-D (i started marking from question 2 on the mcq sheet)
p2-A (i had practiced alot,n didnt find any question difficult.)
p3- A
p4-A
p5-A

both p4 and p5 were awesome.. can still get an A* or A.even if I have D in mcqs? :'(
like if a miracle happens or something?

Reaction score
We may never know how CIE exactly considers your grade so just pray and hope for the best. :)

and oh, don't get stressed out with it.

Reaction score
you started marking from q 2 and still got a D! that is a greater miracle than getting an A*...so yea you can hope for it..i think its very likely :)

Reaction score
i gave AS biology last year...Got a B , but my component result was
P1-D (i started marking from question 2 on the mcq sheet)
p2-A (i had practiced alot,n didnt find any question difficult.)
p3- A
p4-A
p5-A

both p4 and p5 were awesome.. can still get an A* or A.even if I have D in mcqs? :'(
like if a miracle happens or something?

Taking the curve/grade thresholds of the Oct/Nov '12 session (that's the most recent one):
Getting a D in P1 means getting at least a 19/40, The minimum mark for an A in P2,3,4,5 are 39/60, 27/40, 67/100, and 20/30 respectively.
Adding up all your grades would give you a 166/270. That would still be a B.
In order to score an A, you would need at least a 175/270, and an A* would be a 194/270.

The only way you would get an A or an A* would be to score exceptionally well in the other components.
Here is a possible combination:
P1 = 19/40 (since you already got a D, I'm expecting the worst-case scenario)
P2 = 48/60 (since you said that you've done extremely well)
P3 = 30/40
P4 = 80/100 (since you said that it was awesome)
P5 = 24/30
Adding up those scores would give you a 194/270 which is the minimum mark you would need to score for an A*. Just take a look at those scores, if you think you can get them, then you've got your A*. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Taking the curve/grade thresholds of the Oct/Nov '12 session (that's the most recent one):
Getting a D in P1 means getting at least a 19/40, The minimum mark for an A in P2,3,4,5 are 39/60, 27/40, 67/100, and 20/30 respectively.
Adding up all your grades would give you a 166/270. That would still be a B.
In order to score an A, you would need at least a 175/270, and an A* would be a 194/270.

The only way you would get an A or an A* would be to score exceptionally well in the other components.
Here is a possible combination:
P1 = 19/40 (since you already got a D, I'm expecting the worst-case scenario)
P2 = 48/60 (since you said that you've done extremely well)
P3 = 30/40
P4 = 80/100 (since you said that it was awesome)
P5 = 24/30
Adding up those scores would give you a 194/270 which is the minimum mark you would need to score for an A*. Just take a look at those scores, if you think you can get them, then you've got your A*. Good luck :)

Thankyou so much , for the detailed answer...