• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Calculator - Math

Reaction score
I asked the british council about the calculators and they replied the following text to me :

Where the use of electronic calculator is allowed in examinations, candidates must know

in advance that:

-)The calculator must be of a size suitable for use on the desk at which the candidate will sit the examination:

-)The batteries must be taken out while the calculator is switched on so that the stored programmes are cleared. If the calculator has a re-set button, this can be activated whilst the calculator is switched on the delete any stored programmes or date;

-)The power supply for the calculator is the responsibility of the candidate and must be integral to the calculator. Where appropriate, the candidate may bring a spare set of batteries into the examination room;

-)The working condition of the calculator is the responsibility of the candidate;

-)The calculator must be silent, with visual display only;

-)A fault in a calculator will not normally be considered as justifying the giving of Special Consideration to the candidate;

Calculator cases, instruction leaflets or instructions and formula printed on the lid or cover of the calculator or similar material must not be in the possession of candidates during the examination, or must be securely covered if they cannot be removed;

External storage media e.g. card. tape, disk, smartcard, and plug-in modules, must not be in the possession of the candidates during the examination;

Calculator must not be borrowed from other candidates in the course of the examination for any reason, although the invigilator may provide a candidates with a replacement calculator

Programmable calculator may be used but no prepared programs may be taken into the examination room; (information and/or programme stored in the calculator’s memory must be cleared before and after the examination. Retrieval of information and/or programs during the examination or removal of question paper content is an infringement of the regulation.)

Candidates are responsible for clearing any information and/or programs stored in the calculator before and after the examination.

Calculator with any of the following facilities is prohibited, unless specifically stated otherwise in the syllabus:

-)graphic display

-)data banks

-)dictionaries

-)language translators

-)retrieval or manipulation of text or formula

-)QWERTY keyboards

-)built-in symbolic algebraic manipulations

-)symbolic differentiation or integration

-)capability of remote communication with other machines.

The use of any such calculator will be regarded as malpractice.

I hope that was helpful.

Reaction score
there is no problem with 991MS and 570MS. i have used both of them in cambridge exams and got good grades :p