• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Books for Mathematics - Futher

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here, to this forum.

I would be appearing in Mathematics - Further in 2012, A levels.
I do not know which books to study, my school doesn't offer this syllabus either.

Please suggest me books.
Note that I have just started A levels and have NO experience in A levels Mathematics.

Thanks.

Reaction score
BOOKS:-
Further Pure Mathematics - Oxford - Brian nd Mark Gualter... (red book) ( i had to get a fotocopy version in pak)
Mathematics - A core course for a levels - Stanley Thornes - L Bostock nd S. Chandler (red book)
Further Pure MAthematics - Stanley Thornes - L Bostock nd S. Chandler nd C. Rourke (yellow book)
Advanced Level Statistics - J Crawshaw, J Chambers.. (black book)
Redspot Solved Pastpapers
for mechanix, i used my maths mechanix book, Mechanics L Bostock nd S. Chandler ..... n my teacher gt some chaps fotocopied frm hz book
--------------------------------------
rest watch this video:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ6V4882uKY
and read these topics:-
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2227
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1136&start=0

Reaction score
Ah... So you have appeared in it? May I know please know your grade? =o don't worry if it's isn't speakable, I am not a brilliant student either. :p

Okay, so I'm a bit confused... Do I have to get 2 further pure mathematics books? or are these alternatives to each other?
And if I get A levels Maths M1, M2, S1, S2, P1, P2 & P3, books, would that cover the syllabus of Further Maths or is that just the requirement to START the syllabus of Further Maths?

Please clear this.
Thanks.

Reaction score
i just gave this june....bt still im hoping for a D or E, :p coz i just studied one yr, and had other 9 subs..
these books are not alternative....actually none of these covers the sylabus totally, so u have to use diff books..
using Maths books, may cover parts of FM sylabus, buy one by one, u'll get to know..

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. :)

What do you mean by 'FM'? Futher Mathematics?

And as you said that these books do not fully cover the syllabus then what if I buy S1, S2, M1, M2, P1, P3 books of Maths and then buy the books as you stated, would that be sufficient to cover the syllabus?
I really do not know much about this syllabus and have NO teacher who taught this before so hope you don't get annoyed by me asking too much. =s

P.S. Those grades aren't bad for this syllabus, you'll get a good credit for it in universities (I hope). :p And what were your other 9 subjects? and how were you able to do those 10 subjects in one year? :eek:

Reaction score
Phobia said:
Thanks for the reply. :)

What do you mean by 'FM'? Futher Mathematics?

And as you said that these books do not fully cover the syllabus then what if I buy S1, S2, M1, M2, P1, P3 books of Maths and then buy the books as you stated, would that be sufficient to cover the syllabus?
I really do not know much about this syllabus and have NO teacher who taught this before so hope you don't get annoyed by me asking too much. =s

P.S. Those grades aren't bad for this syllabus, you'll get a good credit for it in universities (I hope). :p And what were your other 9 subjects? and how were you able to do those 10 subjects in one year? :eek:

yea, FM is a abbreviation..
ok, u buy those books and then use the sylabus to match the common thing... (do u know that u only have to do 4 papers of simple maths, instead of 7?? :p )
and i think that u shd arrange a teacher before starting it, its not that easy to be done by urself.. :eek:
nah, i wont get annoyed.. :D u can ask anything u like!! :)
i dont know dat what i will get, bt anything in any subject below C is considered not good..
other subs included; physics, maths, chemistry, economics, gp, history, sociology, urdu, islamic studies..
had D's in history and socio(just did in kind of 10 days :p ) these subs require atleast 2 months, had B in GP n A's in Urdu n Islamiat--awaiting results of rest ...
managing isnt a problem if u utilise ur time in a good manner....and i spent a total of 2 yrs on my a lvls..

@rehan: BSS Faisalabad.... O Levels; 8 A's and 2 B's (on 89 :p )

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I am studying Physics, Mathematics and planning to do FM too. These are and will be my subjects through out A levels.
As I'm new to A levels (classes haven't even started yet), is it possible to start studying FM right now at this stage or should I start it after completing A2 simple Maths?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Is it possible to do A levels in one year? Well my school does A levels in 2 years so I guess I have to follow that. =/

P.S. I'm not an A grade student, just an average student with average grades, Bs & Cs. =)

Reaction score
well, there is no compulsion, that u do it in 1 or 2 years!! bt if doing through skool, as in ur case, u will ahve to follow dat pattern...
bt if u r just giving maths n physics, then it is possible to do them in a single year... (are u aware that most universities want a min of 3 subs??)
which skool are u in??

Reaction score
Oh... didn't know that, so I'll take Computing as a 4th subject.
Thanks for the replies, I'll PM you whenever I feel a problem with FM, if that doesn't feel annoying to you. =)

@Mods: Topic may get locked.

@mista.lova.lova: Thanks again. =)

Reaction score
take sm advics frm a gud teacher or any carrer counsiler, cz i dont know abt computing related field or whether is will be acceptd as a third sub!! :S
and no need to make the topic get locked down.. :p
and mention dat not!! ;)

Reaction score
@Mista.lova.lova has given full information for books and others on further maths
However I also want to share the information in following way.

Further Maths.
for Papre 1
Pure Mathematics
i)Further Pure Mathematics By Bostock etc ,Yellow book
ii) Core maths By Bosctock and Chandler, Yellow Book
iii)Gaulter and Gaulter, Oxford Press, Red Book
for Paper 2

Section A
i) Further Mechanics Bostcok etc, Green Book
ii)Further Mechaincs , Jeffersons Beadsworth, Oxford Press, Red Book

Section B
i) Advanced Level Statistics J craw Shah, J Chambers, Black Book
ii) Cambridge Series Statistics S1 and S2.

Note:
i)You can also purchase Cambridge series books M1,M2, P1,P3,S1 and S2 it will cover much syllabus.
ii) DO Further Maths together with other subjects and simple maths will be piece of cake for you then.
iii) Start studying further maths right now to cover syllabus so that at school you have the revision and questioning to teacher.
iv) it is better to appear in ALevel after two year study.
regards