• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

BIOLOGY!

Reaction score
salam.
i want to know that what is the buffer solution for pH, it will be a great pleasure if anyone can tell me :)

Reaction score
Buffer solutions act as neutralizing agents that contain both positive and negative ions of a weak acid. Thus, if a base such as NaOH is added to the solution, the positive H+ ions will react with the negative (OH-) ions to neutralize the solution. Similarly, if an acid is added to the buffer, the negative ions (such as OH- or C2H3O2-) will react with the hydronium ions to neutralize the solution.
hope that helps....

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Waalaikumassalam!!
Aha so now i will help u :)
I guess what hassam said is smthng different from what i know!!
So i will give u what i feel is correct...
A buffer solution has the property that the pH of the solution changes very little when a small amount of strong acid or base is added to it.Buffer solutions are used as a means of keeping pH at a nearly constant value in a wide variety of chemical applications.
May be hassam is right but still... :)

Reaction score
thank u math angel. :)
so, it is basically keeping the pH of the solution constant!

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
and yeah one more thing they are of 2 types...acidic buffers and basic buffers :) whatever they are according to their pH they will help maintaining a constant pH throughout :)

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
actually we took it in the enzymes chapter...there was an experiment to check the effect of pH in that we added a buffer solution so that a constant pH is maintained :)

Reaction score
hey larina and maths angel how many chapters u have studied in skool in AS bio ? (i uess u both r in as level

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
yes i hva done cell structure,cell membrane and transport,biological molecules...and just started nuclear division!!

Reaction score
i have done cell structures, biological molecules, enzymes, membranes and transport, genetic coontrol of protein structure and function, and have just started cell division like math angel ;)
what about u hassam?

Reaction score
ya studied cell ,molecules, membrane and transport,enzymes and nuclear division now i have 2 start dna wala chapter

XPFMember

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
so that means i am the one one done with the least no. of chapters :( i am on the 4 th and u all finished almost 5!!