• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology paper 52

Reaction score
Crap.. iodine is used to test the presence of starch x_x

So if all the starch is hydrolyzsed, the solution should remain brown?

So I messed that one up then :')
well its not necessary that all the starch is broken down in the given time like in experiment in which some area remained blue black

Reaction score
What were factors to be standardised in q2?
And explanation of table of 3 marks?

For that I wrote these stuff should be stardardized:

Make sure none of the females drank any coffee or any substance containing caffeine because this speeds up nerve impulse transmission.
All the females should not be drug-users (drugs also affect the speed of transmission)
The distance between the probes should be same for all women.
The females should all be of approximately same mass, but I don't think this one is right :/

Reaction score
I wrote
None of females should have any nerve disorder
Temperature (it affects conductance)
None of the females should be under stress or pregnant
And distance between probes should be kept constant
I guess u could also say the various location which skin patch is placed should be constant for all females being tested

Reaction score
is it correct to mention that experiment is conducted at different females at the same time of day

Reaction score
I wrote to prepare concentrations and compare the area stained with the area stained by the extract
Is that fine? :/
I asked my teacher about that. She said it's perfectly fine. As long as you gave enough detail on it.

Reaction score
Is comparison method correct? To prepare concentrations of amylase and calculate area. The area of concentration prepared corresponding to area stained by fungal extract is the required concentration?
yes it is correct

Reaction score
For the dealing with the anomalies question, could we write draw a graph and tally the readings from it
when

Reaction score
I wrote
I guess u could also say the various location which skin patch is placed should be constant for all females being tested
you can also write the intensity of the impulse should be the same

Reaction score
I wrote
which anomalies did you circle?

Reaction score
I wrote about different intensities of the blue-black color since not all the starch is hydrolyzed in one, and in the other all of it was hydrolyzed.

Then the intensity of the colour was measured using a colorimeter and compared.

Also bio-sensors and dipsticks could be used.. right?

I think we had to write about the Benedict's reagent. Since 1, 6- glycosidic bonds are present only in reducing sugars. Not sure though :/