• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

*Biology Paper 5 tips*

Reaction score
they never repeat questions in p5, and if CIE never gave them before, they might come this time.. its in the syllabus

hey according to recent trend this are not actually given i think we should rather concentrate on reproduction, photosynthesis electrophoresis n other plant related ones more cz these have hit the papers mostly in the last few years! N if u hv seen most of the othr sub papers we gave dis year were quiet similar to past papers or so.... yes then again CIE is UNPREDICTABLE!!! So yeah we gotta watch out!! :)

Reaction score
Somebody please remind me to post the topics we have to study from igcse on Sunday...Alice123 it'd be a pleasure if u remind me :)

Reaction score
There isnt anything about the reflexes section(from the syllabus) in my book.... Can anyone give a link to the coursebook??... its not available in our country :cry:

Hey i got the new coursebook its not much different from the book dat we follow! So dnt worry its basically all over the same. If u want u cn check out the book @ Kalabagan they got load of photocopied pieces! ( I m just saying look nt buy)

Btwn for refle arc read the bk u hv its under nervous control in the third chapter (of A2!)
BOL!

Reaction score
Hey i got the new coursebook its not much different from the book dat we follow! So dnt worry its basically all over the same. If u want u cn check out the book @ Kalabagan they got load of photocopied pieces! ( I m just saying look nt buy)

Btwn for refle arc read the bk u hv its under nervous control in the third chapter (of A2!)
BOL!

thanks fr letting me knw.. How was p4??

Reaction score
thanks fr letting me knw.. How was p4??

Alhamdullillah! It wasnt much brain racking! But unlike others i had time management prob! Ma hand ached as though they wanna run around loose aftr d xam! But yes thanks to Allah i finished it!!! :) Now hoping 4 d best#fingersccrossed

How was urs?

Reaction score
Alice123 how are u preparing 4 d p5? I dnt knw but i m so lazy these days!

Same here...:p
i take hours to complete a single paper, eat n sleep in between.....After p4, i havent been serious for a single day...
i think solving papers frm 2005-2012 will be enough...
The planning part's kinda easy, we mention independent variable, how we vary it.. then how we measure d dependent variable...Standardising variables are mentioned.. replicates.. resetting apparatus before performing repeats...bit of description about da drawn apparatus and safety precautions... All da questions follow a trend, so im nt dat worried abt da planning part... doing pastpapers wud be more dan enuf... n also go thru da examiners report, dey're useful.... chi square test n t test arent dat difficult... getting upto 23-25 is easy bt some questions are very difficult:cautious:

Reaction score
First, I want to thank all of you people here for the great help you're offering. Honestly I don't know what I would have done without it.
If anyone would be kind enough to explain error bars, and in a REALLY simple and clear way (I'm thick when it comes to statistics, sorry) that would be amazing.

Reaction score
First, I want to thank all of you people here for the great help you're offering. Honestly I don't know what I would have done without it.
If anyone would be kind enough to explain error bars, and in a REALLY simple and clear way (I'm thick when it comes to statistics, sorry) that would be amazing.
yes error bars please! the whole error bar overlapping bit :\

Ok what i've gathered so far from doing past papers is that:
----> when error bars overlap, there is no significant factor causing a difference in the values (diff due to chance)
-----> when error bars don't overlap, there is a sugnificant difference in values meaning an external or factor other than chance is playing a hand in making the values so different!

Say for example we're investigating the effect of temp on bacteria. (im making this up for explanation purposes)
If error bars for the % of surviving bacteria for temperatures 10 20 30 40 and 50 overlap, this means that at these temperatures, the temperatures have no different effects on the bacteria so we would conclude that NO DIFFERENCE BETEWEEN VALUES. This shows that temperature has no effect.

And you cam hopefully conclude the opposite if error bars didn't overlap.
That the tmperature was having some effect on bacterial survival! :)

Anyone correct me if i'm mistaken but thats my take on it!
Hope i helped!