• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

*Biology Paper 5 tips*

Reaction score
Student12 now you give me an example..
LOOL umm...
- As u mentioned Rate of photosynthesis varies with intensity of light. Independent : Light .. Dependent : Rate of Photosynthesis
- Effect of CO2 on rate of photosynthesis. In. : CO2 and Dependent: Rate of photosynthesis ( How to vary.. Take 5 conc. & maintain each Co2 with the probe.. For dependent: Time to collect known amount of gas)
- The lower epidermis has more stomata per unit area than upper epidermis. Independent: upper or lower and dependent is No. of stoamta per unit area. (Can u explain this one?)
And at this point going through past papers i realized that whenever we write the procedure we write the independent & dependent variables that how they vary! Right?
- As the Light increases the number of pollen grains present in the atmosphere will increase and then decrease as light decreases. Independent: In incrased or decreased light intensity ( it changes so independent) Depenedent: No. of pollen grains.. it depends on independent.
- Ethanol increases membrane permebility more than an increase in temprature. Independent: Temperature and Conc. of ethanol Dependent: light absorbance (why not permability?)
-Effect of temperature on Rate of Light Dependent rxn. Independent: Temperature Dependent is Effect of temperature.
- Leaf Discs from shade leaves will photosynthesis at a higher rate in low light intensity than leaf discs from sun leaves. Ind. : Light intensity cuz its varying and dependent is Time taken for discs to rise depending on experiment.
-Effect of an Organo-mercury compound on mitosis were investigated in a cell culutre of human WBC. Independent: conc. of organo lalala :p and dependent is Frequency of type of mitosis.. in question.

Correct me please if im wrong in any?

Reaction score
LOOL umm...
- As u mentioned Rate of photosynthesis varies with intensity of light. Independent : Light .. Dependent : Rate of Photosynthesis
- Effect of CO2 on rate of photosynthesis. In. : CO2 and Dependent: Rate of photosynthesis ( How to vary.. Take 5 conc. & maintain each Co2 with the probe.. For dependent: Time to collect known amount of gas)
- The lower epidermis has more stomata per unit area than upper epidermis. Independent: upper or lower and dependent is No. of stoamta per unit area. (Can u explain this one?)
And at this point going through past papers i realized that whenever we write the procedure we write the independent & dependent variables that how they vary! Right?
- As the Light increases the number of pollen grains present in the atmosphere will increase and then decrease as light decreases. Independent: In incrased or decreased light intensity ( it changes so independent) Depenedent: No. of pollen grains.. it depends on independent.
- Ethanol increases membrane permebility more than an increase in temprature. Independent: Temperature and Conc. of ethanol Dependent: light absorbance (why not permability?)
-Effect of temperature on Rate of Light Dependent rxn. Independent: Temperature Dependent is Effect of temperature.
- Leaf Discs from shade leaves will photosynthesis at a higher rate in low light intensity than leaf discs from sun leaves. Ind. : Light intensity cuz its varying and dependent is Time taken for discs to rise depending on experiment.
-Effect of an Organo-mercury compound on mitosis were investigated in a cell culutre of human WBC. Independent: conc. of organo lalala :p and dependent is Frequency of type of mitosis.. in question.

Correct me please if im wrong in any?

Excellent mashAllah! You're perfectly right! (y)
For Ethanol and Memberane Permeability:
We are looking at light absorbance because the more permeably the membrane, the more light will pass..we can't test membrane permeabilty through naked-eye can we?
and for the number of stomata thing...
usually, it's covering the lower and upper with a layer of wax.
For example: We're going to see the mass loss in a leaf with constant temp, light intensity, and....all of those factors.
So it's not a matter of the dependant or independent unless we're testing something.. so if there's greater mass loss when the upper surface is covered, more stomata are present at the bottom. if there's greater mass loss when the lower surface is covered, then there are more stomata on the upper epidermis..get it?

Reaction score
Asalamalalikum

Thank youu for the amazing notes. I had this doubt, if you could solve it, please?

How do you get the values for E in Q 2 (b)(ii) of this paper: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Biology (9700)/9700_w11_qp_53.pdf

Jazak Allah in advance

You're welcome..and wa iyaakkum:)
Cross 1 is the cross of two heterozygous cats, so the ratio is 9:3:3:1
Draw the rough cross yourself and match it with the results shown in the table... but i can't get the answer....although i did somehow a few days ago..

Reaction score
You're welcome..and wa iyaakkum:)
Cross 1 is the cross of two heterozygous cats, so the ratio is 9:3:3:1
Draw the rough cross yourself and match it with the results shown in the table... but i can't get the answer....although i did somehow a few days ago..

I have tried every possible way. Not getting the answer. I think the ratio is not 9:3:3:1 but it is 1:1:1:1. I dont know.

Reaction score
I have tried every possible way. Not getting the answer. I think the ratio is not 9:3:3:1 but it is 1:1:1:1. I dont know.

the cross between two heterozygotes always results in the ratio 9:3:3:1
wait...i'm trying..cz i knw i got it one day, i actually explained it to my teacher...

Reaction score
Ok, I will be waiting. When you get it, please do post :)

do you mind if i try to answer :p
In that cross the ratio of getting no tailed to tailed is 3:1 (no tail is dominant ). Since total number of observed is 40 +72 =112, to find tail it is (1\4) * 112 and to find no tail is (3\4)*112 :D