• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology P33

Expected grade threshold?

• Total voters
Reaction score
How was it?
For me it was pretty easy! Hopefully a 30+ InshAllah!
But i think threshold would be around 25,26 for an A.

Reaction score
It was kinda medium for me too. Inshallah, the gt will be about 27-28, I'm hoping to get above 30. I messed up the part with the number of plasmolysed cells, put 0 for water, then guessed everything else :( What were the differences for you guys when you drew a cell from S1 and from W???

Reaction score
It was kinda medium for me too. Inshallah, the gt will be about 27-28, I'm hoping to get above 30. I messed up the part with the number of plasmolysed cells, put 0 for water, then guessed everything else :( What were the differences for you guys when you drew a cell from S1 and from W???
Um for W, just 2 layers and a nucleus cuz it was turgid. For s1, it was plasmolysed.
I got 95% for s1, 35% for s2 and 5% for s3. What was the hazard level. Was it high or low?

Reaction score
Um for W, just 2 layers and a nucleus cuz it was turgid. For s1, it was plasmolysed.
I got 95% for s1, 35% for s2 and 5% for s3. What was the hazard level. Was it high or low?

Damn it, I didn't draw any cell walls. I don't know what was going through my head at the time. Good thing is, only 2 marks were on that Q. What are those percentages you put down? The degree of plasmolysation?

For the hazard level, there were 3 choices: high, medium, or low. I put medium, really wasn't too sure about it. What about you?

Reaction score
Damn it, I didn't draw any cell walls. I don't know what was going through my head at the time. Good thing is, only 2 marks were on that Q. What are those percentages you put down? The degree of plasmolysation?

For the hazard level, there were 3 choices: high, medium, or low. I put medium, really wasn't too sure about it. What about you?
Noooo :( I put high. i put boiling water and flame, so flammable. I should've put medium. That was the percentage of plasmolysis. BTW did you draw the tiny hairs on the stem plan diagram? I didn't.

Reaction score
Noooo :( I put high. i put boiling water and flame, so flammable. I should've put medium. That was the percentage of plasmolysis. BTW did you draw the tiny hairs on the stem plan diagram? I didn't.

No, they were so small, almost definitely didn't need to draw them. But for the hazard level, probably low, medium, and high will be accepted, so long as the reasoning makes sense. For that part where they said to draw a table and write down the number of plasmolysed cells, your trend was that the number of plasmolysed cells was 0 for W, then decreased from S1 to S3?

What about the question where it said how would you measure V0 and V9, what did you put for that? And what did you put as V0 in the table we had to draw?

Reaction score
No, they were so small, almost definitely didn't need to draw them. But for the hazard level, probably low, medium, and high will be accepted, so long as the reasoning makes sense. For that part where they said to draw a table and write down the number of plasmolysed cells, your trend was that the number of plasmolysed cells was 0 for W, then decreased from S1 to S3?

What about the question where it said how would you measure V0 and V9, what did you put for that? And what did you put as V0 in the table we had to draw?
I did something dumb actually. I told them to use a measuring syringe to measure v0 and v9. Actually for V9, it should be v0-volume of water extracted using measuring syringe. But somehow, I got the values ok for the table. V0 was the same for me. Then for v9/cm^3, i filled to the lower mark. Then volume of water evaporated is v0-v9. That's all. :) Was there anything else? Oh yeah, thank you for the clarification of the hazard thing :)

Reaction score
I did something dumb actually. I told them to use a measuring syringe to measure v0 and v9. Actually for V9, it should be v0-volume of water extracted using measuring syringe. But somehow, I got the values ok for the table. V0 was the same for me. Then for v9/cm^3, i filled to the lower mark. Then volume of water evaporated is v0-v9. That's all. :) Was there anything else? Oh yeah, thank you for the clarification of the hazard thing :)

I said the exact same thing! Measuring syringe. Didn't they just ask how we would measure V0 and V9? It didn't say how we should've calculate v9.... did it? Bloody hell. I did everything right for the table, but I didn't put a column saying v9 - v0, which a friend said I should've done.

Reaction score
I said the exact same thing! Measuring syringe. Didn't they just ask how we would measure V0 and V9? It didn't say how we should've calculate v9.... did it? Bloody hell. I did everything right for the table, but I didn't put a column saying v9 - v0, which a friend said I should've done.
I think you are right. They asked for 'measure'. So, I guess it's just measuring syringe. :)
EDIT: Aww, you will lose max 2 marks. So don't worry <3

Reaction score
Guys, for the 1st question, instead of doing the glucose test , i did sucrose test but got the same result bc that solution was a mixture of sucrose and glucose. so will i be wrong or was it just a waste of time and still get marks?

Reaction score
Guys, for the 1st question, instead of doing the glucose test , i did sucrose test but got the same result bc that solution was a mixture of sucrose and glucose. so will i be wrong or was it just a waste of time and still get marks?
For the final table where we had you guess which solution is which, you will get it right. But for the previous table, you had to record results for reducing sugar. But if your non reducing sugar gave the same result, they won't notice. So don't worry. The paper wasn't that easy honestly. The grade threshold will be between 26 and 29, max 30. :)