• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology edexcel unit 6

Reaction score
Thanks alot..do have any stuff which can guide us in unit 6...???
Do u have any idea that which experiment will come in our paper??
I don't really have any more for Unit 6 - I put a file on here somewhere (one of the other Unit 6 threads?) about a summary of the stats tests.
Q1 - just make sure you really know your core practicals - especially what are the key variables (independent, dependent and control) and also what are some of the problems with the experiment designs for each.
Q2 - look at the mark schemes for the stats - they follow a similar pattern that should give you a good answer
Q3 - I've put some stuff on here before about this part
I don't really do predictions - too much of a risk!!;)
Sorry if this is just telling you things you already know - I'm not sure what you've been told already.

Reaction score
I don't really have any more for Unit 6 - I put a file on here somewhere (one of the other Unit 6 threads?) about a summary of the stats tests.
Q1 - just make sure you really know your core practicals - especially what are the key variables (independent, dependent and control) and also what are some of the problems with the experiment designs for each.
Q2 - look at the mark schemes for the stats - they follow a similar pattern that should give you a good answer
Q3 - I've put some stuff on here before about this part
I don't really do predictions - too much of a risk!!;)
Sorry if this is just telling you things you already know - I'm not sure what you've been told already.

Dont be sorryyyy. ..the stuff u tell will surely help me...thank you soo much. ..☺
if u dont mind can u post the model answer for jan 2011 q 3 (c n d part)...plzzzzz

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know about a model answer, but I have written my answer :eek:.
Quite a tricky question, this one, as you can't control a lot of the usual variables :cry:.
I have added in the mark scheme as well.
Please let me know if it isn't clear.

Attachments

• Jan 2011 Unit 6 – Q3 My answer.docx
    138.5 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Quite a tricky question, this one, as you can't control a lot of the usual variables :cry:.

are you sitting this exam on 13th?

Reaction score

Thanks alot for ur help.....☺☺
I understand. ..
I knw I m disturbing u but last question from(hope so)
Wht do we have to mention in our preliminary work??

Reaction score
Thanks alot for ur help.....☺☺
I understand. ..
I knw I m disturbing u but last question from(hope so)
Wht do we have to mention in our preliminary work??

Hi,
I think I put something about preliminary work in a post on the previous page - if you can't find it or it isn't clear, let me know.

Reaction score
Hi,
I think I put something about preliminary work in a post on the previous page - if you can't find it or it isn't clear, let me know.

sorry I couldn't find it...One tht u posted was about c part....there were no information about pepreliminary work. ..
plz can u post ASAP..I hope I m nt disturbing. ..sorryyyy for distributing u. .☺

Reaction score
hii
can anyone help me about how to control light intensity and temperature if you are carrying out the experiment on a field?
And also how do find the standard deviation to plot on a bar chart for question 2 when it has to deal with t test?
HELP PLSSS!!

Reaction score
hii
can anyone help me about how to control light intensity and temperature if you are carrying out the experiment on a field?
And also how do find the standard deviation to plot on a bar chart for question 2 when it has to deal with t test?
HELP PLSSS!!

No problem. See post #16 - that was about preliminary work.

Reaction score
hii
HELP PLSSS!!

It's not very likely you'll be given the SD from the results in the question. If the graph part talks about "showing the variability of the results" or something similar, you can just plot the mean and then range bars (highest and lowest raw results).

You can't really control outside light intensities or temperatures, but you can check and make sure that they are similar when you are taking your experiment results. One of the problems or limitations that you can always mention for the last part of Q3 is that it is difficult to control all the variables for an experiment.

Reaction score
sorry I couldn't find it...One tht u posted was about c part....there were no information about pepreliminary work. ..
plz can u post ASAP..I hope I m nt disturbing. ..sorryyyy for distributing u. .☺
Sorry - getting all my replies mixed up here. See post# 16 for preliminary work.

Reaction score
It's not very likely you'll be given the SD from the results in the question. If the graph part talks about "showing the variability of the results" or something similar, you can just plot the mean and then range bars (highest and lowest raw results).

You can't really control outside light intensities or temperatures, but you can check and make sure that they are similar when you are taking your experiment results. One of the problems or limitations that you can always mention for the last part of Q3 is that it is difficult to control all the variables for an experiment.
Thank you so much for your help! but if you are carrying out the experiment on field what variables should you mention to control for Q3 c part? for example jan 2011 asked to investigate the effect of light intensity on primrose plant.. what factors should you mention to control?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! but if you are carrying out the experiment on field what variables should you mention to control for Q3 c part? for example jan 2011 asked to investigate the effect of light intensity on primrose plant.. what factors should you mention to control?

Hi,
If you look back up to post#23 on this page, someone else asked about that question - I wrote down an answer and then looked at the mark scheme. Because it was a field experiment (where you can't control the light!), they mentioned it could be variables that you would monitor instead. Have a look at this post and let me know if it doesn't make sense. This was a tricky question - normally they are lab-based experiments where everything is much more straightforward to control.

Reaction score
Hi,
If you look back up to post#23 on this page, someone else asked about that question - I wrote down an answer and then looked at the mark scheme. Because it was a field experiment (where you can't control the light!), they mentioned it could be variables that you would monitor instead. Have a look at this post and let me know if it doesn't make sense. This was a tricky question - normally they are lab-based experiments where everything is much more straightforward to control.
thank you so much! it makes sense and i now understand!