• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology doubts..post here.. :D

Reaction score
hello,
can anyone explain the dif between prenatal screening and genetic screening? and how do we treat Cystic fibrosis?

Reaction score
hello,
can anyone explain the dif between prenatal screening and genetic screening? and how do we treat Cystic fibrosis?
well you can treat CF by a method called gene therapy, which is the insertion of normal allele of gene into cells to replace a faulty allele that causes an inherited disorder.

Reaction score
hello,

Prenatal screening is before the birth of the baby. Genetic screening is just screening at any time :)

Reaction score
hello,
Prenatal screening is done before the baby is born to see its well-being (and it includes genetic sceening)
Genetic screening is only to see if there are any mutaions how high-risk genes :)
CF cannot be treated but Puffs, physiotherapy, antibiotics, vitamin tablets help to alleviate the symptoms

Reaction score
i ain't taking the exam this time..only on jan 2013
i guess those who r taking the current exam are going to have their biology exam on 15th :D

Reaction score
dam :mad: well if ppl in Sri Lanka do it hours before us or any county pls post the hard questions ....

Reaction score
THANKS ALL
how does the primary structure affect the function of an enzyme and its 3D stucture? please mye xam is tmrw morningg

Reaction score
THANKS ALL
how does the primary structure affect the function of an enzyme and its 3D stucture? please mye xam is tmrw morningg
welcome :)

the primary structure is the order of Amino acids... if this changes, then the bonds formed will be different as the functional groups will be at different postions. This will change the shape and since the active site will not be of the right shape, it will not function as an enzyme :)

Reaction score
it was for 5 marks and alot of points were needed like the solubility of the enzyme and its globular shape and so on .. i dunno:s

thank you again

Reaction score
it was for 5 marks and alot of points were needed like the solubility of the enzyme and its globular shape and so on .. i dunno:s

thank you again
solubility? o_O i dunno abt dat but the globular shape thingy is wat i explained :)

ur welcome :)

Reaction score
THANKS ALL
ummm enzymes are globular proteins-each enzyme has a specific 3D shape including an active site. only molecules with a specific shape fit into the active site.