• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Could anyone explain to me the purpose of the split ring commutator in a DC motor. I was finding it really difficult to understand.....

Reaction score
Can Anybody tell me the role of commutators in d.c motor and a.c generator?.....How it helps to let the coil move continuosuly?....I am very confused!!!..:/
in a d.c motor, electricity is USED to produce MOTION/CURRENT is used to produce MOTION, when the coil rotates, there has to be something to actually help the coil rotate, which is why there is a split ring commutator
in an a.c motor, MOTION is used to produce CURRENT/ELECTRICITY, using the Fleming's left hand rule, u will notice that on one part of the coil, the force is going down/up (this depends on the direction of magnetic field, and direction of current), and on the other one, it is going up/down. hence the coil rotated automatically, and we don't need a split ring commutator.

here u go

A.C motor.png