• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
plz tell me how to prepare physics,chemistry and biology! plz tell me the pattern or the way/track through which I can improve my science subjects!
clear ur concepts from books and then do past papers. MCQs help alot in clearing concepts.

Reaction score
Is it accepted that while drawing ionic bonding we draw only the outer most shell?

I wouldnt trust CIE a lot especially the chemistry chief examiner if u check the ms u will see a lot of rej meaning reject so he absolutely hates many points so until or unless u dont see it written go for the full structure and draw it properly with charge outside the brackets u draw and the name inside the circle if u put the charge inside you will be in trouble :D :p

Reaction score
I wouldnt trust CIE a lot especially the chemistry chief examiner if u check the ms u will see a lot of rej meaning reject so he absolutely hates many points so until or unless u dont see it written go for the full structure and draw it properly with charge outside the brackets u draw and the name inside the circle if u put the charge inside you will be in trouble :D :p
Thnx..

Reaction score
I wouldnt trust CIE a lot especially the chemistry chief examiner if u check the ms u will see a lot of rej meaning reject so he absolutely hates many points so until or unless u dont see it written go for the full structure and draw it properly with charge outside the brackets u draw and the name inside the circle if u put the charge inside you will be in trouble :D:p
but there are chances that there will be written that show outer shell only

Reaction score
I did the MCQs of Chemistry & Physics and i didnt score good result. I scored no more 65%. This is very worrying.Please can anyone give me tips how to prepare for them.

Reaction score
I did the MCQs of Chemistry & Physics and i didnt score good result. I scored no more 65%. This is very worrying.Please can anyone give me tips how to prepare for them.

Basically u need to revise everything again and look at detail more dont just read the overview but go in detail,since MCQs come from there they check your understanding !
Also if u can tell us what type of MCQs u get wrong like in physics u can have a numerical one and theory based so which one u get wrong most u can work on that ! Also read the key words like in physics they twist the question and always asked which one is not the answer and i always chose the correct answer not the wrong one so underlining the key word is good then also when doing MCQs never directly jump to the answer even if u know it due to the fact u did it before always try to prove it wrong and get yourself to two options then cancel one and get the answer ! If u dont follow this method its really difficult tackling the distractor choice ! !

Also if u just have started MCQs and this is your 1 or 2 paper then u will improve with practice but dont forget revision is key if u dont revise u will forget !

Reaction score
help?

The 1500 Ω resistor on the electronic circuit board has a correct power rating of 0.25 W.
State a disadvantage of using a different 1500 Ω resistor with a power rating that is
1. much less than 0.25 W,
2. much greater than 0.25 W.

Reaction score
help?

The 1500 Ω resistor on the electronic circuit board has a correct power rating of 0.25 W.
State a disadvantage of using a different 1500 Ω resistor with a power rating that is
1. much less than 0.25 W,
2. much greater than 0.25 W.
1. The power that the circuit is delivering to the device (whatever it is) is slightly less than 0.25 W. Hence, a 0.25 W resistor would be suitable for the circuit. A lower power rated resistor would most likely cause the circuit to heat up and in some cases smoke, since the resistor would be receiving more power than it could handle.
2. The power dissipated by a resistor power rating is directly linked to its size. The larger the size, the higher the power will be dissipated. Therefore, in order to dissipate more power, a larger resistor will be needed.

Reaction score
Hey can someone help me in Bio?

This is a question of Nov 2008 ATP Q.2 (iv)
It asks why ethanol is added to a dry sample (for emulsion test )and the examiner report says "A second mark was for realising that cloudiness would have occurred prematurely or for saying that the fat would normally be dissolved in ethanol before the addition of water during
the ethanol emulsion test."
I don't really understand what we are supposed to answer :S

Reaction score
Hey can someone help me in Bio?

This is a question of Nov 2008 ATP Q.2 (iv)
It asks why ethanol is added to a dry sample (for emulsion test )and the examiner report says "A second mark was for realising that cloudiness would have occurred prematurely or for saying that the fat would normally be dissolved in ethanol before the addition of water during
the ethanol emulsion test."
I don't really understand what we are supposed to answer :S

Basically it means that if u add water before adding ethanol you would have observed an emulsion straight away and hence it is required u add ethanol first or else u will get the emulsion also it says that by convention u add ethanol first the more lame it looks it is the correct answer and dont be surprised to find more lame answers in MS for Bio ATP they really think bio students are too stupid and hence such answers are seen :D :p :p

Reaction score
Agreed! You just can't trust them. Even though now they are being a bit careful to give precise details, it is now usually mentioned in the question.