• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Biology; Chemistry; Physics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
An which of the salts below are soluble:

1. Ba(NO3)2
  2. K2SO4
  3. BaCO3
  4. AgCl2
  5. KCl
  6. Na2SO4
  7. PbCl2
  8. BaSO4
  9. MgSO4
  10. CaSO4
  11. CaCl2
  12. HgCl
  13. (NH4)2SO4
  14. KBr
  15. Na2CO3

1 , 2 ,5 , 6 , 9 , 11, 12,13 ,14 , 15

Anyone confirm this! Although i think i got all soluble salts!

Reaction score
All nitrates are soluble .
All Sulfates are soluble except AgSO4 , CaSO4 (slightly soluble), BaSO4 , HgSO4 , PbSO4(insoluble)
Just found this note:

All nitrates are soluble.
All group one salts are soluble and all NH4+ salts are also soluble
All chlorides are soluble except for lead, silver and mercury
All sulphates are soluble other than lead, barium and calcium
No carbonates are soluble other than the group one and ammonium :D

I think that covers all of them. Right?

Reaction score
Just found this note:

yes! dese r da set of rules i learnt too :)

Reaction score
Just found this note:

two more :
All Group 1 compounds are soluble
All Hydroxides are insoluble except those of group 1 , ammonia, barium and calcium .

In total 7 solubility rules!

Reaction score
two more :
All Group 1 compounds are soluble
All Hydroxides are insoluble except those of group 1 , ammonia, barium and calcium .

In total 7 solubility rules!
6) Group 1 compounds. True :)
7) All hydroxides: An additional detail is that their solubility decreases as you go down the group! (group 2 for now)
So you can't say that it's just calcium and barium. Whereas beryllium hydroxide is insoluble... Radium and barium hydroxides are the most soluble :D
8) All group one and two sulphides are soluble. Rest are mostly insoluble!

IN CONCLUSION:
1. Salts containing Group I elements are soluble (Li+, Na+, K+, Cs+, Rb+). Exceptions to this rule are rare. Salts containing the ammonium ion (NH4+) are also soluble.
2. Salts containing nitrate ion (NO3-) are generally soluble.
3. Salts containing Cl -, Br -, I - are generally soluble. Important exceptions to this rule are halide salts of Ag+, Pb2+, and (Hg2)2+. Thus, AgCl, PbBr2, and Hg2Cl2 are all insoluble.
4. Most silver salts are insoluble. AgNO3 and Ag(C2H3O2) are common soluble salts of silver; virtually anything else is insoluble.
5. Most sulfate salts are soluble. Important exceptions to this rule include BaSO4, PbSO4, Ag2SO4 and SrSO4 .
6. Most hydroxide salts are only slightly soluble. Hydroxide salts of Group I elements are soluble. Hydroxide salts of Group II elements (Ca, Sr, and Ba) are slightly soluble. Hydroxide salts of transition metals and Al3+ are insoluble. Thus, Fe(OH)3, Al(OH)3, Co(OH)2 are not soluble.
7. Most sulfides of transition metals are highly insoluble. Thus, CdS, FeS, ZnS, Ag2S are all insoluble. Arsenic, antimony, bismuth, and lead sulfides are also insoluble.
8. Carbonates are frequently insoluble. Group II carbonates (Ca, Sr, and Ba) are insoluble. Some other insoluble carbonates include FeCO3 and PbCO3.
9. Chromates are frequently insoluble. Examples: PbCrO4, BaCrO4
10. Phosphates are frequently insoluble. Examples: Ca3(PO4)2, Ag3PO4
11. Fluorides are frequently insoluble. Examples: BaF2, MgF2 PbF2.

Reaction score
6) Group 1 compounds. True :)
7) All hydroxides: An additional detail is that their solubility decreases as you go down the group! (group 2 for now)
So you can't say that it's just calcium and barium. Whereas beryllium hydroxide is insoluble... Radium and barium hydroxides are the most soluble :D
8) All group one and two sulphides are soluble. Rest are mostly insoluble!

IN CONCLUSION:
1. Salts containing Group I elements are soluble (Li+, Na+, K+, Cs+, Rb+). Exceptions to this rule are rare. Salts containing the ammonium ion (NH4+) are also soluble.
2. Salts containing nitrate ion (NO3-) are generally soluble.
3. Salts containing Cl -, Br -, I - are generally soluble. Important exceptions to this rule are halide salts of Ag+, Pb2+, and (Hg2)2+. Thus, AgCl, PbBr2, and Hg2Cl2 are all insoluble.
4. Most silver salts are insoluble. AgNO3 and Ag(C2H3O2) are common soluble salts of silver; virtually anything else is insoluble.
5. Most sulfate salts are soluble. Important exceptions to this rule include BaSO4, PbSO4, Ag2SO4 and SrSO4 .
6. Most hydroxide salts are only slightly soluble. Hydroxide salts of Group I elements are soluble. Hydroxide salts of Group II elements (Ca, Sr, and Ba) are slightly soluble. Hydroxide salts of transition metals and Al3+ are insoluble. Thus, Fe(OH)3, Al(OH)3, Co(OH)2 are not soluble.
7. Most sulfides of transition metals are highly insoluble. Thus, CdS, FeS, ZnS, Ag2S are all insoluble. Arsenic, antimony, bismuth, and lead sulfides are also insoluble.
8. Carbonates are frequently insoluble. Group II carbonates (Ca, Sr, and Ba) are insoluble. Some other insoluble carbonates include FeCO3 and PbCO3.
9. Chromates are frequently insoluble. Examples: PbCrO4, BaCrO4
10. Phosphates are frequently insoluble. Examples: Ca3(PO4)2, Ag3PO4
11. Fluorides are frequently insoluble. Examples: BaF2, MgF2 PbF2.

o_O
Ab ye Chromates kya cheez hai?
we're in O level ! At this stage 7 are required , and even that is going to an extent .

Reaction score
o_O
Ab ye Chromates kya cheez hai?
we're in O level ! At this stage 7 are required , and even that is going to an extent .
It's CrO with an oxidation state of 2- and properties not exactly part of the syllabus :)
The case of phosphate and fluorides is kinda the same so even that can be called trash.

But it's true that you can just leave it if you don't need it :D